We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beartooth Highway

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Beartooth Highway

Where does this start and end? We are staying in Gardiner, MT. Is this anywhere near this location? I can't find it on the Yellowstone map I have.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beartooth Highway

Thank you all for the map links! Perfect!!

Staying in Cody might be a better option; how much backtracking would be happening if we wanted to do Chief Joseph hwy as well?

Sorry, I'm really confused. I am looking at the map on the link...and I see both highways..but I don't see how I could make them both work and end up in Cody. Cody looks set aside from both in the opposite direction if I wanted to do Chief Joseph as well. Is that hwy a don't miss as well? It looks amazing in the pics... (??)

Not taking any days away from Yellowstone, but we are going to skip the Black Hills in SD and just do Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park there. I think the trade off will be worth it to get to see the views from these highways in a relaxing fashion. Don't you think?

Have I confused you yet? : ) Maybe I should just tell you all I want to do/see and you can tell me the best way to make it happen. You all sound like professionals. :)

Thanks to all!!!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beartooth Highway

***I keep reading I need to go to finish beartooth to appreciate it...would jumping off at rock vista be missing out?**

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beartooth Highway

What I would suggest is that your drive out the northeast exit of Yellowstone, drive through Silver Gate***-Cooke City, drive the Beartooth Highway as far at the Rock Creek Vista which overlooks the switchbacks for the views.

Have a picnic!

Then turn around, drive back toward Cooke City but just past the Clarks Fork Overlook turn south(left) onto Chief Joseph Scenic Hwy. Take that to Hwy 120. Turn south onto 120 into Cody.

***For a fantastic breakfast stop in Silver Gate:

http://www.thelogcabincafe.com/eat

Edited: 29 January 2014, 10:50
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beartooth Highway

The CJH is very scenic, historical, and well worth the drive. Folks who also want to drive the most scenic parts of the Beartooth will generally drive the Beartooth in the direction of Red Lodge, but turn around at Rock Creek Vista, come back to the intersection with the CJH, and follow the CJH into Cody. Personally, I would drive these highways and drop the Black Hills, as you've planned, but that's just my opinion.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beartooth Highway

Thanks for the awesome suggestions!!! Gosh, makes me wonder what people did before Trip Advisor! :) You guys are the best!!

I just booked a hotel for Cody! Much happier with this arrangement, won't feel as rushed.

16. Re: Beartooth Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 16:18