We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boiling River

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Boiling River

While I understand that because of snow melting the water may be too high for swimming at Boiling River the last week in June, are you allowed to still hike around in the area and look around or do they close the area right off to public?

On a related note, is Firehole River usually open to swim/wade and or enjoy by the last week in June? Again, if it's not open to swim in..is the trail at least open to view the area?

Edited: 28 January 2014, 07:28
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,497 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boiling River

IIRC, they have the gates closed to the Boiling River parking area and I believe the trail is closed to hiking from the parking area to the springs area. If the water is high, the trail may be underwater.

The Firehole River usually opens about the same time. You really can't wade there as it is in a canyon and you have to climb down steps to get to the area. For this one, there is not really a trail, just a bunch of steps down to the area. The Firehole Canyon Drive goes right beside it with pull off areas so you can park and look over the side to the river.

Pam

Edited: 28 January 2014, 07:39
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boiling River

There's a 1/4 mile or so hike back to the soaking spot at Boiling River. I drove by there at least once before late June last summer and don't recall seeing the parking area closed off.

The Firehole River swimming spot in the Firehole Canyon is not far off the road. I've never gotten into the water there, but the road should be open by then and I think once you park, you'll either be able to get out and look or go into the river.

Someone else with more personal experience may answer, but I thought I'd throw this out there to get you started.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boiling River

If the Firehole River swimming area is closed due to high water runoff they barricade it at the top of the stairs and have signs up. You can park and get out to look but you can not walk down the stairs.

When the Boiling River is closed due to high water runoff I have seen the gate closed at the entrance to the parking lot. I don't think the small overflow parking lot across the road has been barricaded at the same time though.

Deb

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boiling River

Thanks! Fingers crossed it will be open..the concept sounds incredible to me!

5. Re: Boiling River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 17:18