We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone for 2 days from the West Entrance

Pioneer, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone for 2 days from the West Entrance

I will be in Yellowstone June 23-25, 2014. I'm staying in West Yellowstone on June 23 because no rooms are available in the park for those days. Everyone has raved about Lamar Valley, but it looks like that would be quite a drive. How long would it take me to drive there from the west entrance. Is there a different area that would be comparable to Lamar Valley for wildlife watching? I will leave June 25 and head south to Grand Teton. Any suggestions?

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone for 2 days from the West Entrance

Hello,

I would encourage you to keep checking the website. Due to Xanterra's liberal cancellation policy, things open all of the time. If they do, you should try to book a cabin at Roosevelt, right on the western edge of Lamar Valley. Your other alternative would be to get a cabin in Cooke City, at the NE entrance of Yellowstone which is also the gateway to Lamar Valley.

Should you elect to keep your West Yellowstone reservation, I would factor 1.5 hrs or more to get from West to Lamar Valley, and then intend to stay several hours/if not the whole day, allowing daylight driving time to end up back at West. Your alternative for wildlife viewing could be Hayden Valley S of Canyon and N of Lake.

Again, I don't find it unreasonable that you will be able to commandeer local arrangements inside the park by keeping an eye on the website. Create a favorite based off your elected dates and choice of lodging.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,120 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone for 2 days from the West Entrance

I agree. We came last Sept. and I got part of my lodging in Feb. and the rest in June. Just keep checking because people change their plans all the time.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone for 2 days from the West Entrance

I concur with the above - no doubt something closer will open up if you keep your eyes open. If not Roosevelt or Cooke City, Canyon may be a good location for you.

Where is your other night?

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone for 2 days from the West Entrance

I agree with everyone here. Keep trying the Xanterra website for openings, or simply call them every now and then.

I will also be in the park at that time (June 18-28) and plan to spend most of my time in Lamar Valley. Another option if you are staying in West Yellowstone is to go to Hayden Valley. When coming in to the West Entrance, make a left at the Grand Loop road and then go up to Norris Junction and make a right. When you get to Canyon, make a right and it will take you after a few miles into Hayden Valley. We've had really good sightings in June with Grizzlies, and the Canyon wolf pack has it's den/rendezvous in Hayden Valley. It's also great for birds of prey/raptors and bison.

Lamar Valley is awesome, but don't discount Hayden Valley for wildlife. We've also seen wolves, coyotes and some really nice bull elk in Gibbon Meadows, which is close to Madison Junction.

5. Re: Yellowstone for 2 days from the West Entrance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 17:18