We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Any advice? We are looking for that "walk into the picture" moment with wildflowers, mountains in the backdrop. : )

Any advice on where to find this either via moderate/easy hike or drive. YLWSTONE or GTNP will work.

Thanks!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

What time of year will you be visiting?

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Ok. I see on your other thread you will be going in June. Part of it will depend on how soon summer comes. A couple of years ago I saw the best flowers I had ever seen along Blacktail Plateau Dr. But it is dirt and gravel so if you have a rental car the contract might not cover off road. That was in August so you may be a little early.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Here's the wildflower guide:

www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/plants.htm

It's hard for me to remember what's blooming when/where on hikes with mountain views.

I remember wetland flowers & peaks on the Glen Creek Trail & Bighorn Pass Trail.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 13:46
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

I'm not entirely sure the Blacktail Plateau Dr has mountain views behind the flowers. That same year there was an awesome display on the south flank of Mt Washburn, but there was a big old grizzly munching away in the middle of them! lol

Pam

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Yes, we will be traveling in June, sorry about that! Thank you for your replies!! I love the wildflower blooming link as well! Thank you!!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Stop at a visitor center & chat with the rangers. They may be able to point you to a hike with flowers, depending on what part of June & snow levels for that year, as each season is a bit different, trails are closed in June for bear management, etc.

First of June with snow is quite different than the end of June.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 01:22
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

We were in GTNP and YNP the last week of June, 2013. We saw the most amazing wildflower views from the top of Signal Mountain in in GTNP. However, flowers were abundant in both parks. I second the idea to ask the rangers where to go for great photos.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 04:59
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

That is when our trip is planned the last week in June, (20th-July 1) Are a lot of the trails closed at that time for bear management? Is there a list with this information anywhere? Thank you!!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Here is the link to the bear management closures map. As advised above also check with Rangers for any issues as well.

www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/bearclosures.htm

Pam

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Moderate Hiking Trail with views of Mtns and Wldflowers

Check at the visitor centers for trail closings at the time of your visit. The few closed areas did not not negatively effect our trip at all. YNP is huge, with plenty of beautiful trails.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 06:58