We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time of day do the park gates open?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
What time of day do the park gates open?

I have read a lot about getting up early to view wildlife but if we are staying outside the park (at a hotel in Gardiner, MT) can we access the park anytime, or only after x time? Also, what is this time? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Our trip is not until the end of June.

Thanks!

Edited: 27 January 2014, 12:49
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,602 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

The entrances are open 24/7.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

Awesome, is the same said for GTNP? How does it work, is a park attendant always at the gates to show your tag to?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

You can drive in and out of the park entrances at any time. If the gate is manned you will have show an entrance pass you already bought or buy one before proceeding. I've been through the Gardiner entrance a few times when it was not manned but can't remember off hand how early it was.

Deb

Edited: 27 January 2014, 13:03
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

No park attendant at gates over night- But then best not to drive in the dark with all the wildlife anyway.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

Thank you! :)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

There was someone in the north entrance at 7 in the morning last week. I think they show up about daylight, though that might be fairly early in the summer so maybe not that early.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,870 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

I have been thru the West entrance at West Yellowstone at 6AM in the summer and the booths have been manned/personned??. I *think* they had just gotten there, so I was assuming they started at 6.

Pam

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

How much the booths are manned -- in fact, how many programs there are and how many seasonal positions are filled or left vacant overall -- is highly influenced by the &*%#$) sequester caused by the &*%#$) congress. It is difficult to judge by prior seasons for a lot of these things.

Just know the main entrances are open 24/7, may be manned or not, and you may be asked to show proof of payment or your pass upon exiting as well. And I offer an emphatic second to denalicat's mention that it is best not to be driving in the parks after dark.

ENJOY!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
61 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

Thanks so much for all the great replies! I was just concerned about getting into the park early enough to see wildlife. Do a lot of people line up early at the end of June, or is that still a fairly slow time of year?

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time of day do the park gates open?

Crowds are picking up by then, but July has the largest number of visitors, by far. As I recall, the west gate was closed a few times last summer due to animals on the road causing tremendous back-ups - literally to the gate and they could not let any more people in. You're less likely to encounter that many people ahead of you if you get an early start.