We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slough Creek or Indian Creek for wildlife viewing

San Diego...
Level Contributor
67 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Slough Creek or Indian Creek for wildlife viewing

We have a pop-up camper and will be visiting June 21-26. We have a reservation at Mammoth for the night of the June 21 and then we are planning to use a first-come/first-serve campground for the four nights after that. Our focus will be wildlife viewing and light/moderate hiking, and the main things we want to visit seem to be around Lake, Canyon, and Tower.

We were looking at Indian Creek for its proximity to Grand Loop Road and to showers, as well as the larger sites for our camper, but now I'm wondering if Slough Creek would be better for us because of the things we want to go to and for better wildlife viewing?

I'm just concerned with Slough Creek that the smaller number of campsites and the farther distance to drive from Mammoth will make it harder to get a site in the morning. Another problem with SC is that it's far from showers... I'm so torn! Yikes!

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Slough Creek or Indian Creek for wildlife viewing

Slough Creek is my favorite campground in the park, seen wolverine and other joys right in the area It is however incredibly difficult to get fcfs for good reason. If you are going to spend time in the Lamar there is great dispersed camping right outside Cooke City that will knock your sox off.

If wildlife observation is your primary objective I'm not sure why you and to be on the loop so much but I suggest you look into why the Travel Channel rated GTNP number one o the Continent not to many years back. Many things outside YNP including Glade Creek in the Parkway are amazing. If light hiking is up to 6 miles roundtrip with little elevation GTNP will be amazing for you if you do your research or ask someone like me. Be sure you store all food, toiletries, sweaty clothes, etc., in your locked vehicle as pop ups do have a slight risk otherwise. .

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slough Creek or Indian Creek for wildlife viewing

The USFS has had it closed down to tent or tent campers in the campgrounds east of Cooke City due to the death by grizzly of a tent camper a few summers ago. I have had to sleep in the back of my truck shell in those campgrounds. Hard-sided only. Same at the USFS campgrounds right outside the east entrance.

Slough or Indian?

Indian is one of the best kept secrets in the park. I have heard wolves howling at night at the campsite back right next to the hiking trailhead. The hiking trail out of Indian, Big Horn pass trail I think it's called, just going back through the wetlands & up the hills is one of the most panoramic, easy to get to trails in the park. The wetlands even right by the campground is a bird haven.

Norris is a wonderful back-up for Indian, especially if you can get in loop A on the meandering Gibbon River. Running water in the sinks & flush toilets a plus over the other 3. Bison walking among the tents & trailers. But I think it allows generators.

Slough is a bumpy mile back on a dirt road so in & out for wildlife viewing can get a bit tedious. But I do love being in Lamar valley to go to where the wolf watchers are at first light. They know where the wolves are & there is nothing quite like watching wolves. Sough is popular with fishing groups that have reunions there & sometimes fill the place up.

A great back-up for Slough is Pebble. I have seen grizzlies, moose & heard wolves howling there. There is a nice private site up at the headwaters of the little creek that goes into Pebble.

I have found that in June the bears are still down at lower elevations so bear watching is fantastic.

Talk with the folks with scopes as they all network & know where the fresh kills & such are.

I get to the first come campgrounds as soon as I get on the road at first light & drive to them. I've always gotten a spot that way.

I like staying at 2 or 3 campgrounds while I am in the park- it's the best of both worlds to spend time in several areas to wake up & get out in that neighborhood.

Why not do both!!?? 2 nights each.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 12:29
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Slough Creek or Indian Creek for wildlife viewing

That's the reason I mentioned dispersed camping.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slough Creek or Indian Creek for wildlife viewing

Hi Abarokanaut!

I had noticed you said dispersed but I imagined in my mind's eye pulling a trailer up Lulu pass rd or even that logging road next to Colter & I couldn't imagine sending a visitor there LOL. I've only found a couple spots myself driving over from living in Red Lodge.

But then I'd rather be right in the park!

5. Re: Slough Creek or Indian Creek for wildlife viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 17:18