We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Topic
well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

were coming form Oklahoma and well we have alrdy got our cabins reserved @ canyon village, so this will be our (base camp). I am now in the process of planning our week long stay, basically mon and Tuesday will be used for traveling to different key areas of the park and stopping when we want or when the bison want us to lol and well just have fin getting to a main attraction and along the way seeing whatever we find interesting. On wed we plan on waking up and heading out and down to GTNP and spending the day there. Thursday we plan on doing the same but go to beartooth highway (another day trip sorta thing). Friday well be another day of possibly something within the park. The questions I have now are does this sound like a good plan to the more experienced ones and our day trips to GTNP and beartooth are those doable in a day?

if any of you have any ideas on how to make our plan better im all for it and thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma
Oklahoma
United States
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,262 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

Beartooth is doable in one day, but if you only have 5 days for the area, (is that correct?) I would skip Beartooth this time and use that time to see Yellowstone. It looks like now you only have 3 full days to see Yellowstone...Monday, Tuesday and Friday? I usually spend a whole day from Canyon down to Fishing Bridge, a whole day from Old Faithful to Madison, a whole day including Norris to Mammoth and another day from Canyon up thru Tower Fall, out to Lamar and back toward Mammoth. Then depending on interests there are many more smaller areas to see.

I can't remember if your group is planning to do any hikes or not? Definitely drop Beartooth if you plan to use any of your days to hike.

Beartooth is spectacular, don't get me wrong, but if you have limited time in Yellowstone, then I suggest you use the time there.

If I recall you have a fairly large group, right? You are going to spend a longer time getting them up and going, then fed and to pit stops than if you have one, two or even three people.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Tower Fall
Tower Fall
263 Reviews
tulsa
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

well if we drop beartooth the days we will have n park would be mon tues Thursday and Friday cause wed we def r going to go to GTNP

Since we r going to be staying in canyon all week and with it being centrally located im trying now to draw up a plan of like each day driving to a main attraction and along the way doing whatever we want that day. I gues what im needing to know from you guys that travel within Yellowstone or have is from canyon how long would it take to get to the furthest main attraction, this way I can use that round about time to figure out something. Thank you for the prompt reply as well !

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

This guy has a good site with the map below which show distanced and approximate drive times between attractions in Yellowstone to help with planning.

alandsuejohnson.com/yellowstone_map_pics/yel…

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,262 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

I know many like Alan's mileages, but I find them underestimated at times. I prefer just to double the mileage to estimate time needed to travel, excluding stops for scenery, wildlife and bathrooms! That is also quick and easy to do on the fly when you are in the park and have the park map with you in the car. (It will have your entry payment receipt stapled to it so you need to leave that in the car with you, especially on days when you head out of the park.

nps.gov/common/…

So, from Canyon to Old Faithful via Norris it's 42 miles/84 minutes or Canyon to Old Faithful via West Thumb it's 54 miles or 104 minutes.

I didn't think about it when I first posted, but you may also decide you want to spend another day in Grand Tetons, which I would also put ahead of Beartooth.

However, it's your vacation and you must do what you feel you all will enjoy!

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,928 Reviews
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

It sounds like you are going to try to tour Grand Tetons National Park from your Canyon base. Is this correct?

If so, that in itself will be a very long day and one does not want to drive in the park after dark.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,262 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

Do I remember correctly that you are driving from Tulsa? I don' t remember where you are heading after Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, is it back home to Tulsa? If that is the case, I wonder if you had considered doing Mon/Tu/Wed at your lodging in Canyon and then traveling down to Jackson area Thurs afternoon with an overnight there Thurs and Fri.

That does have your group moving, but it might make the GT part more manageable. As Denalicat indicates it will be a very long day to do a day trip there from Canyon. It's 59 miles from Canyon to the South gate which is a good 2 hour drive.

You probably have already hammered out the pros and cons of this plan, and I know you have reservations, but just thought I would throw it out.

Pam

Edited: 26 January 2014, 11:50
Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

< does this sound like a good plan >>

Not bad. I agree with Pam -- skip the Beartooths on a short vacation such as yours. Organize your days inside YNP by the Grand Loop -- upper half one day, lower half another. Keep in mind you want to be done driving by dark, as denalicat mentioned, for the safety of your party and the wildlife as well.

ENJOY!

8. Re: well its getting closer to out exciting trek to yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 18:17