We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

Westminster...
2 posts
Save Topic
First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

Planning our trip to YNP and GTNP in June, 2014. All of the lodges are booked! How far in advance must we have booked? Can you advise on accommodations near the park? We are driving from Maryland. We will be entering park coming from Mt Rushmore.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

ive been told that things open up, you just have to keep checking, people book lots of rooms because there is no cancel fee if you give 2 days notice

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,620 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

Yes that is correct about lodging in Yellowstone. We went to the park in mid September and found lodging in mid February. Cancellations do occur all the time. You just have to keep checking on Xanterra.

Depending on the number of days your are staying I would split lodging between OF and Canyon/Lake area in YNP.

If you decide you want kitchen facilities and stay out of the park then check in West Yellowstone or Gardiner but find out exactly how close they are to the entrance of the park. Many of the rentals say they are close and are actually an hour away.

For the GTNP you can either stay in the park or in Jackson.

Westminster...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

We are planning 4 days in Yellowstone; 2 in Tetons. We were hoping for Roosevelt Lake and/or OF for lodging. Is it likely they will open up?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,216 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

The Old Faithful area has a lot more rooms than Roosevelt, so it is likely there will be something available at OF. Roosevelt will be harder. Depending on when you are going, you might cover your bases by booking at Canyon, Lake or Mammoth if something comes available there, then you can cancel if something at Roosevelt pops up. People often have double sets of reservations which contributes to the freeing up of rooms at the last minute.

Pam

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
534 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

I have gone the last two summers and what I needed opened up in the two weeks prior to our trip and we even added a night on, calling Xanterra at 8am the day of, while still in the park. My experience is that nothing opens up until the spring.

Choose what you want, and hit referesh regularly, and you will get what you want in the weeks leading up to your trip. Last summer, we were moving, and I carried our ipad around the house as I packed boxes. I would hit refresh 2-3x per box packed, and got what I wanted.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,216 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

Solomentehawaii, laughing so hard at the picture of you, your iPad and boxes stacked all around you. That is a great way to keep yourself distracted from how much *stuff* you have to get done before a move! Plus I am glad you got the reward of a trip at the end.

Pam

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

We, too, are going for the first time next June. We had planned to go this past June, but it didn't work out, so we are so excited to finally be planning this long awaited trip! I had booked 2 nights in Canyon Lodge room, but now we decided we want to be in the Western Cabins. One of our nights is fully booked however, so I will just keep checking. Does calling them make a difference? Would they possibly have an opening that would show on the website?

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

We are going in July. I was able to book all accomodation inside the park online. I had to keep refreshing and within a few minutes I found openings. We were able to book at the lodging we wanted, but unable to get the accomodation desired. I hope to make some changes as others cancel, but what we have booked will work out.

9. Re: First visit to YNP/GTNP June, 2014.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 16:15