We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

Poconos
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

Is such a thing possible? We will "home base" at a campground in the park, so no worries about towing. We will be driving from PA. Have been to Yellowstone several times. Never camped. Two kids, 7 and 10. We do NOT want an RV. (and know to avoid CampAmerica). Would love some local knowledge.... Thanks!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

Pierce RV here in Billings, Montana rents rvs and travel trailers. They do not have pop-up trailers on their website but I know they sell them so you might want to call them to see if they rent any out. They do have some 18 foot travel trailers for rent. My brother has rented a toy-hauler from them every Memorial Weekend for years to his annual get-away and has always been pleased with their service.

www.piercervrentals.com/Vehicle-Rentals.aspx

You could try to google rv rentals in Bozeman, Montana to see what you get. I know people have rented rvs there for going to Yellowstone Park and Glacier Park. Both Billings and Bozeman are close enough to the park to make sense to use as a rental stop before entering the park.

The only campground inside Yellowstone Park that has hookups is Fishing Bridge which is hard-sided only. Madison, Bridge Bay, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, and Grant (too far south for a good base for touring Yellowstone though) take reservations and I highly recommend them (especially for the first couple of nights). I've been at many campgrounds where people have been turned away because they are full.

Good luck with your trip planning.

Deb

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,952 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

When we were researching for our trip a couple of years ago I found these places in Jackson WY.

http://www.jhadventure.com/

adventurecamper.com/yellowstone-camper-renta…

We loved camping (in our tent) at Madison on the west side of the park, close to most of the thermal areas. Canyon also looked nice. Make sure you get reservations. www.nps.gov/yell for info.

Poconos
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

Thank you both very much - will check out all recommendations!

Poconos
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

Updating the post to say we've abandoned the pop-up camper idea. It looks like car rental companies don't allow towing of any kind. However, we have found this outfit - CamperVan North America, at http://www.campervannorthamerica.com .... Has anyone got anything to say about it, good or bad? Its rates are pretty good and it's close to perfect - my old creaky bones can stay in a bed and I can throw the kids out in a tent for the wolves.

So to speak. Really.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,952 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

http://www.jhadventure.com/ Will rent you a vehicle as well as a trailer. Just a possibility.

Poconos
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

Thanks, but they seem to be strictly hard-sided big RVs and we are pretty much dead-set against camping in the big RV sites -- we love the seclusion and quiet of tent-only grounds.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

There are no tent-only campgrounds inside Yellowstone Park. There are some campgrounds that have tent-only loops but a pop-up camper wouldn't qualify for those loops.

Deb

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,952 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

This place rents pop ups as well as getting you a tow vehicle. adventurecamper.com/yellowstone-camper-renta…

There are many campgrounds in YS and some have loops just for tents and others are mixed. There are rules about generators and most of the huge rv's stay at Fishing Bridge or an RV park.

9. Re: Camping at Yellowstone - want to rent popup camper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 21:21