We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

10 posts
Save Topic
Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

I have a reservation for a Pioneer Cabin in Canyon for our upcoming trip July 19-23. Today I was able to book OFI for one night, our last night. For those who have been, is it worth it to change for only one night during such a short trip??? I have always wanted to stay at OFI. I went a ahead and booked just in case. Just curious what others think. I know many advocate spending time in different locations but it seems those are during longer trips.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
741 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

If you've had you heart set on OFI I say go for it! Our last trip was only three nights in YNP and we split it one night at Lake and two night at Mammoth. I like moving around and spending time at the different lodges. Some people think that packing up takes to long, but how much stuff can you have you're on a road trip?

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

I agree with the above post.

I've stayed at OFI and although the area is pretty "busy", I enjoyed the ambiance of the Lodge. It's also a good base for exploring the geyser areas.

Enjoy!

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

i love moving around to the various lodges. we leave today for gnp, making our way down to ynp, & then to jackson. we'll be staying at 5 different places over 9 nights.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

Definitely worth it! The Pioneer Cabin in Yellowstone is kind of a lacklustre accomodation in itself - Old Faithful Inn is nothing short of spectacular. Plus the Old Faithful area is positively loaded with thermal feature walks. In addition, it's a bit of a task to travel to Old Faithful, see the sights and then drive the long haul back to Canyon Village in the same day - very tiring. Have Fun on your Trip!

new york
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

We were very glad we had booked various places around Yellowstone. It was great to move around as we pleased but not have to do all the backtracking after along day! We packed our bags accordingly and had everyone share a bag to save on the loading and unloading in those places we only stayed a night.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

Just returned from Yellowstone and GTetons. Stayed three nights at Old Faithful Inn - you will love it! It is so interesting and when the crowds leave you have the Inn with it's ambiance, piano player, fire, balcony etc. The rooms are also very nice. And I agree with previous post - we drove from OFI to canyon area and roosevelt lodge - it's far, especially with road construction.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

I agree with the other postings. Against a lot of people's advice, we stayed in 3 different places in YNP- one night at Snow Lodge, one night at Mammoth and one night at Canyon. I was very happy we moved around. We didn't have to do much backtracking. We spent one day in the OF area, one day up at Mammoth, and one day in Canyon/Lake area. Worked out beautifully.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

the last time we were in YNP we stayed in several lodges. 2 nights in cooke city, on night in Canyon and 4 nights at lake yellowstone cabins. I think the 4 nights at Lake yellowstone may have been too mich. i think I would do 3 nights at the most in just one lodge, but it is worth it to stay in different cabins.

OFI is a great experience. Be sure to sit in the porch, put your feet up and enjoy a cold Moose Drool while you watch OF erupt!

Have fun!

9. Re: Worth changing lodging within the park only a fews days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 17:16