We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Photographer

14 posts
Family Photographer

Hi Everyone! I am planning a trip for my family to Yellowstone in August 2019. I am looking to hire a photographer to photograph us in the park. I am usually the picture taker and I never get in the family pictures!! Any suggestions? I have searched and haven't been able to find anyone who shoots in the park. I would like a portrait photographer not a wild life photographer (although I have three boys - maybe wildlife wouldn't be so bad!) lol

Thank you for your time and for any ideas!

8 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
1 review
1. Re: Family Photographer

They exist--I have seen them in the parks.

Park service may have a list of who is licensed

Id look for family photo people in Gardiner or west Yellowstone or Jackson for Grand Teton

Edited: 17 November 2018, 01:29
14 posts
2. Re: Family Photographer

thank you!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
181 reviews
3. Re: Family Photographer

I reached out to ask a photographer friend, to see if he knew anyone that does it. His reply "No, I don't and the reason is because it's considered commercial photography so it requires the same permitting and fees and falls under the same regulations as if Toyota was filming a commercial in YNP, or BBC was filming a documentary, for example."

Edited: 19 November 2018, 01:08
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
1 review
4. Re: Family Photographer

>>>I reached out to ask a photographer friend, to see if he knew anyone that does it. His reply "No, I don't and the reason is because it's considered commercial photography so it requires the same permitting and fees and falls under the same regulations as if Toyota was filming a commercial in YNP, or BBC was filming a documentary, for example."<<<

That is why I have suggested on the other threads regarding getting family photos in Yellowstone Park to contact some of the photographers that already have their authorization and license to take photos in the park to sell. The majority of them are wildlife photographers because that is their passion and where the money is but there are some that have taken photos of weddings in the park. I know Barry Ladd (based out of West Yellowstone/Island Park) was the photographer for a wedding in the park and I know that Deby Dixon took wedding photos in Mammoth awhile back. A lot of wildlife photographers probably started out as portrait photographers and would have all the cameras/lenses and equipment for taking photos of families in "nature". Whether or not they would want to do a family photography session is a question only they can answer so the OP would need to do some work contacting different photographers on the list of authorized photographers authorized by the park. I put those links on her other thread.

Deb

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
181 reviews
5. Re: Family Photographer

Yes Deb, he is a wildlife photographer that lives in Jackson, and sells his work of the area, including in YNP. I thought he might know of someone. I wonder if there is a difference- getting paid to take someones photo, as opposed to taking a photo that you later sell?

I agree the OP needs to contact your links directly. (and let us know, lol)

14 posts
6. Re: Family Photographer

Oh! That makes sense - and it is probable exactly why I can't find anyone. I contacted Barry and will update his response.

2 posts
7. Re: Family Photographer

We just got our family pictures back from our fall trip to the Tetons. Our photographer was fantastic and she advertised that she will travel into both parks (Yellowstone and Tetons) Let me know if you'd like her info.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
1 review
8. Re: Family Photographer

$Deb

I think wedding photographers don't need the same licenses a commercial nature/wildlife photographer needs.

With Nature photographers they are taking pictures to sell and make money. A family/wedding photographer isn't taking pictures to sell commercially.

Reply to: Family Photographer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...