We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
September

Planning on visiting Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier National parks from 09/12 up to 09/24. In what areas can I probably find road closures because of the weather condition? I'm a little worried about how to reschedule my route if necessary. My itinerary (Hotels already booked):

09/11 Garden City, UT

09/12 Jackson, WY

09/13 Colter Bay, GTNP

09/14 Old Faithfull, YNP

09/15 Cooke City, MT

09/16 Bozeman, MT (drive from Cooke City to Red Lodge and back)

09/17 Columbia Falls, MT

09/18 Many Glacier, GNP (Going to the Sun Road)

09/19 Columbia Falls, MT - GNP

09/20 Columbia Falls, MT - GNP

09/21 Great Falls, MT

09/22 Livingston, MT

09/23 Yellowstone Lake Lodge, YNP

09/24 Jackson WY

9 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,941 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: September

I wouldn't say probably closed I would say possibly. Last year there were a lot of closures and tire chain advisories. Not normal, but shows that it can happen, and it is good to know that it can so you are prepared. Any of the YNP roads and the Beartooth Highway (Cooke City to Red Lodge).

Here is the YNP roads link. https:/…parkroads.htm

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: September

You could go to Glacier earlier. I'd probably keep it as is and adjust if needed for Glacier. If you have to adjust, there are good things to see in Helena and Great Falls, so you could trade those days for Glacier days.

It really does look like a good plan. There's no way to predict the weather. It was 80 degrees during those dates in YNP three years ago.

I've been to YNP in mid-October and Jackson Hole twice in the winter. I wouldn't be concerned about that part of the trip.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 08:38
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: September

I don't know why you would stay in Garden City for a night in mid September. Is it because you have a later flight in to SLC and want to get part way to Jackson? If it's because you want to see Bear Lake, then stay in Logan UT that night and drive thru Garden City the next day. The best view of Bear Lake is from the overlook when you come out of Logan Canyon. Once you get down in to Garden City, there aren't great views of the lake because there are trees and summer homes between the road and the lake.

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: September

Thank you all! I'll check road conditions through the day. Thbergs I have never used tire chains - currently living in south Brazil where rarely we get some snow. Should I buy one in Jackson before we head to National Parks -just in case? Onemoreroad I'll keep that in mid and adjust if necessary. Connie B, I'll be flying from Miami to SLC and my plans were have lunch in Park City and spend the night at Conestoga Ranch.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,941 posts
172 reviews
5. Re: September

Rental cars don't allow chains. If you need them, you need to stay put.

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: September

Wish me luck then. I hope I do not need it. =-)

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: September

You'll be fine in YNP and GTNP.

GNP? Who knows? But they will close the roads if they are bad - and Hwy 2 is open all year.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 11:42
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,941 posts
172 reviews
8. Re: September

Will it happen, who knows? Can it happen? Yes. Does it happen every year? No. However, there is no reason not to go prepared. We hope for clear skies and roads and pleasant temps for your trip. And look forward to your trip report!

Here is the link for last year. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28973… NOT typical, but it can and does happen.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,110 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: September

And two years before that it was 80 degrees all week - during the same week.

It can snow at high elevations. Period.

Any month. Any week of any month.

September is usually a glorious week in GTNP and YNP. Glacier? Who knows what the weather will be. It snowed on us on July 4th one year as we drove the GTTS road. I googled. That year was 1986. It was the Bicentennial of the Statue of Liberty and we were trying to watch it on a little TV screen. Someone said "It's snowing!" and the others thought they meant the picture on the TV was so bad it was "snowy". No, it was snowing outside in midday! No one is going to warn people from going to Glacier NP in July! Heck, GTTS is barely open then. That's prime tourist season.

Go. Don't worry. If it snows in Glacier, adjust. Just like the people in YNP did. A friend was posting photos as they drove through Yellowstone. It was pretty. If the roads are bad, they will close them. It's a national park. Life happens.

Reply to: September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted