We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison

NOVA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison

The tent sizes at most of the campgrounds are 8x8 or 12x12. Our tents are 8x7 and 10x14. Will we be able to use our tents? Are there dimension police that go around and actually check? Can we just not extend the tent corners all the way out? I have read that trees can be a limiting factor, but that notwithstanding...

5 replies to this topic
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison

If you want to use your largest tent (10 X 14), you will have to make reservations for a Extra-Large Tent Only Site.

Small Tent Only Site *available at Grant, Bridge Bay, Canyon, & Madison

Maximum of one small tent, 8 ft. x 8 ft. or smaller.

Large Tent Only Site *available at Grant, Bridge Bay, Canyon, & Madison

Maximum of one small tent, 12 ft. x 12 ft. or smaller or two small tents, each 8 ft. x 8 ft

Extra-Large Tent Only Site *available at Grant, Bridge Bay, & Madison

One extra-large tent, 18 ft. x 18 ft. or smaller or two small tents, each 8 ft. x 8 ft. or smaller

The campsites that allow mixed use "RV and/or Tent Camping" only have Small and Large Tent sites

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
217 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison

I just have to say that I am LOL at your question about "Tent Police"

If there is such a thing, I would like to apply for that job in a few years when I am looking for something to do in retirement!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison

Are you looking to use both tents on one site? The ones allowing two tents are for both small tents. While there may not be "tent police" they do ask for your size(s) on registration, so yours would not qualify to be in the one large or X-large site.

NOVA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison

I have the campgrounds already booked and could only get what i got. The 4 of us dont really fit into the smaller tent, so I’d prefer to use our larger tent. Or i have to go out and buy a specific 8x8 and 12x12 tents. I only need to use one on the sites. I have been calling back to see if any other sites open up

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison

DaveandPat80, the job is called "campground host" and a lot of retired people do exactly that.

https://www.theoutbound.com/yeager-st-john/8…

If you are truly interested, jobs are listed in a variety of ways. If you are on Facebook, join some RV groups including ones with "workampers" in the title.

And yes, they monitor the campground. It's their job!

Reply to: Tent sizes - grant, canyon & madison
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted