We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need one last place to stay

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Need one last place to stay

My family of 4 is traveling June 28- July 10. Although reservations were made "early" they were still were based on availability. We are staying at the 49er Inn and Suites in Jackson Hole the day we arrive and one additional day to check out the town. We head to Cotler Bay the 30th-the 3rd, K3 Guest Ranch in Cody the 3-5th and Canyon Lodge the 5th through the 8th. Our flight leaves at 7am on the 10th so the 9th will be back in Jackson. My question is what to do on the 8th? Should I shorten our stay at the Canyon Lodge to 3 nights and do 2 nights somewhere else? Or is there anyplace good for a 1 night stay? I'm guessing that we will need to be in one of the gateway cities, so Gardnier or West Yellowstone?? I have read that you can sometimes get last minute bookings at other Park hotels, but I would just assume make some plans before more places get booked. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
19 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,830 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need one last place to stay

Check to see if can get a cancellation for Old Faithful on 8th or possibly look at West Yellowstone.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
4,197 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need one last place to stay

Personally, I'd choose Cooke City. It would give you a chance to drive through the Lamar Valley at leisure. I loved the feel of the tiny town. It reminds me of the town in "Northern Exposure". The motel was not fancy but nice. To be honest, it was nice to have TV and wifi by that point in the trip. The Bearclaw Bakery is fabulous in town and we also enjoyed breakfast at the Log Cabin Cafe three miles away in Silver Gate. I'd be happy to stay there, especially over West Yellowstone.

My other suggestion would be to keep trying to get a cabin at Mammoth. That would be another great fit, with a northern location in the park. Truthfully, I'd be equally happy with either. The Mammoth cabin night was my favorite in the park, mostly due to the elk hanging out in the "yard" and sitting on the porch in the morning watching them graze...the grass AND leaves on the trees! They looked like giraffes! Plus the Dining Room at Mammoth is one of my two favorite places to eat in YNP.

Mentioned in this post
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,542 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need one last place to stay

My vote is OF or West Yellowstone. I like two nights, so you don't have a single night stay.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 07:23
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need one last place to stay

If you're going back to Jackson for your last night, you don't really need to be in a gateway town the night before. Canyon is pretty centrally located, so 3 nights there would position you well for your exploring. If you did want a night in a different location, I would choose it based on what you're most interested in - OF area if geysers, Mammoth/Gardiner/Cooke if wildlife.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need one last place to stay

I just looked up Cooke City and it looks like my cup of tea. Do you recall where you stayed? Will it be doable to drive back to a Jackson on the 9th? We will have the whole day to get there.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need one last place to stay

Yes, I will keep trying for OF! But if not, I'm looking into cooke city.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need one last place to stay

"Will it be doable to drive back to a Jackson on the 9th?"

Yes. Easily.

I drive from the Billings area all the way through YNP to Jackson Hole - on my way in and on the way out. Usually the "on the way out" includes the Beartooth Parkway (Cooke City is the start/end). If you've not considered the Beartooth, that may be a good addition since you have "extra" time.

Here are the hotels to choose from -

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g45130-Co…

We stayed at the Alpine. Basic. Clean. Just fine to spend the night.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 08:20
Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need one last place to stay

The Beartooth looks amazing! Thanks for your suggestions!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,105 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need one last place to stay

If you take the Beartooth, a lot of people spend the night in Red Lodge - which is a great little town. But if you stay in Cooke City, you'd get an early start and could circle on around back to Cody if you wanted. I wouldn't drive it both ways in one day. Some do. That's too much intense hard driving for me, and I don't mind heights, curves or long days of driving.

But it IS spectacular and would be a good way to "use up" your two extra days. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need one last place to stay

Can you just go a portion of the way and turn around?

Reply to: Need one last place to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted