We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single night in Yellowstone Itinerary Advice

Culpeper, Virginia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Single night in Yellowstone Itinerary Advice

My parents would like to spend to spend one night in Yellowstone on 9/3 before joining us at a cabin for 5 nights in Irwin, ID. They plan to leave their home in Smithfield, Utah very early on 9/3, stay in a cabin at Lake Hotel on 9/3 and make their way to Irwin before dark on 9/4. This is their first visit.

My initial thoughts are that they should come in through West Yellowstone and see the geyser basins on 9/3 and then head up to Canyon area morning of 9/4 heading out South gate through Grand Tetons to Irwin in the afternoon. Does that sound reasonable?

(We know Irwin is not a good base for GTNP or YNP. Our plan for the Irwin leg of the trip is to visit with family not sightsee. Our own family will be spending 6 nights in park lodging before the cabin time.)

1 reply
Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Single night in Yellowstone Itinerary Advice

I just did something similar last weekend. We stayed in West. Spent our first day seeing Hayden Valley, Lake area, Canyon (what was open on the return). The next day we did OF and returned home.

So, with that said, I think your plan is very reasonable; however, I would skip heading N to Canyon only to backtrack the last day. I would allow some extra time for Grand Teton Park / stops etc.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 23:52
Reply to: Single night in Yellowstone Itinerary Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted