We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go next!?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go next!?

Maybe someone here can recommend where I can go next! Loved our time at Yellowstone but not ready to repeat right away

Glacier Nat’l Park ?

Crater Nat’l Park ?

Banff?

15 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,119 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go next!?

If you haven't been to.the Canadian Rockies, then go to Banff, Lake Louise and Harper. With enough time, you could add Glacier.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go next!?

Thank you! I think that’s where I was leaning towards

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,812 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go next!?

When?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,874 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go next!?

If going to Glacier then go after first of July when Going to the Sun Road should be open.

Check on Canadian forums for info on damage in parks from wildfires last year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go next!?

Agree that Glacier should be on anyone's life list for the natural sights of the U.S./North America. It's my second favorite park so far after Zion. I would advise crossing the border to spend some time in Waterton Lakes on the same vacation. Book a year in advance.

If the wildlife was a main draw, I would also get to Denali in Alaska at some point if you can swing it. I saw alot of Grizzlies and Moose last September, along with a few Caribou and considerable number of Dall Sheep (although you'll want binoculars for them since they stay on the cliffs).

We could probably be of more help if you could tell us what it was you loved so much about Yellowstone. It's a park with several different strong points.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go next!?

I'd definitely say the Canadian Rockies. I'm not sure how much time you'd allocate, but I'd hit up Banff National Park, Jasper National Park (my favorite) and Yoho National Park. You could certainly add Mt Robson and Kootenay depending on time. The sheer size of it all is amazing. The scenery is just over the top spectacular. The lakes colors alone are so special due to their glacier pigments. Add in snow peaked rocky mountains and wildlife everywhere and it's easily my favorite!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go next!?

Thank you everyone. Will be looking at July or August nexts summer. Think I’ll focus on Glacier , Banff and Lake Louise ! I can go for 12 days if needed!

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go next!?

Banff is very crowded in the summer. Waterton National Park is the place you want to go. It's laid back and is incredibly beautiful.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,261 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go next!?

I love Glacier and the Canadian Rockies. One of my best camping trips was a long road trip from the east, out to NM and then up through Yellowstone, Glacier and into Canada. Fabulous trip! On another trip we alternated KOA Kamping Kabins with the fancy railroad hotels. Chateau Lake Louise was one of my very favorite places to stay. Definitely worth a splurge!

http://www.fairmont.com/lake-louise/

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go next!?

While you can certainly have a great trip without hiking, I felt like Glacier was best experienced by hiking each day of our trip. Otherwise I think we would have seen most of the park accessible by roads in just a day or two.

Reply to: Where to go next!?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted