We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater Rafting

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
277 reviews
Save Topic
Whitewater Rafting

My husband and kids are interested in "whitewater" rafting during our visit. I've seen a few (ok, actually 6) places in my searches that are in the Gardiner area. All of them seem to get decent reviews, pricing isn't too crazy on any of them, and they all seem to offer something that's suitable for the family. I put the whitewater in quotes, because from the videos I've seen, most of these I'm looking at are fairly mild adventure...i.e. bouncier than a scenic boat ride, but not like some expert run down the Colorado River.

Has anyone done one of these and have any strong opinions either way?

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
6 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,873 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater Rafting

Only done whitewater south of Jackson.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater Rafting

When is your trip? The water levels and intensity will vary at different times during the summer.

I haven't done any of the trips out of Gardiner either, so no experience with those companies.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater Rafting

Trip is in August. That's a good point too...I know the rivers popular for tubing here suffer if we've had an exceptionally dry summer.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitewater Rafting

Right now the rivers are really high, with flooding in some places - but by Aug. the levels will be relatively low, so don't expect a really wild ride! The scenery will be worth it, though.

Enjoy!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitewater Rafting

Chickie, I share your opinion that the whitewater north of Gardiner is rather mild. If you're looking for more of an adventure, check out the whitewater trips out of Jackson. They go on the Snake River down toward the Hoback, and are quite a bit more of an adventure. Several outfitters in Jackson get good reviews. I have used Barker-Ewing and found them to be good, though others are good, too.

ENJOY!

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Baltimore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitewater Rafting

Since the whitewater is not dam released, it is very dependent on the water levels. We did the Yankee Jim Canyon (which is run as a half day trip out of the Chicco Resort in Pray by Paradise Rafting, and as a full day trip out of Gardner). Earlier in the season, the Yankee Jim had been super high thrills white water, by the time we went in August the water levels had fallen quite a bit as had the thrills. But I was really impressed with Paradise Rafting and they really tried to give me as much information as possible as to what to expect. The Yankee Jim is generally more intense than the "town" stretch run through Gardiner.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Reply to: Whitewater Rafting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted