We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Yellowstone, one day, Memorial Day

1 post
Save Topic
South Yellowstone, one day, Memorial Day

Hi,

My husband and I are spending ONE (1) day in Yellowstone. We will be staying in Debois, WY and driving an hour north to the Southern entrance. We are used to snow/mountains, but not together and are in great shape, . We have both been to Yellowstone and seen the typical old faithful and ETC. What good hiking trails or things to do can we see coming from the south considering Late May. On Sunday, we are doing Grand Tetons for the Day. What gear would be good (snow boots/ regular boots with snow cleets, winter hiking pants/ regular hiking with thermal underwear).

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Yellowstone, one day, Memorial Day

I recommend talking with the rangers for choosing hikes. Between bear management closures, trail conditions and weather at the time, they will have the best suggestions. Be sure to have bear spray.

Here is the trail situation link. https:/…central

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Yellowstone, one day, Memorial Day

I think your time estimate is a bit optimistic. I would add another 1/2 hr. or so.

Agree with thbergs that you should check with the rangers regarding hiking conditions.

Dubois, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Lander, Dubois, Riverton
Level Contributor
385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Yellowstone, one day, Memorial Day

I was in Yellowstone last week, just before the South Entrance opened. From Old Faithful to Norris the ground was almost entirely clear of snow already.

Considering what you'd be reasonably able to reach in YNP from the South Entrance starting in Dubois, I doubt you'll need heavy-duty snow gear for most hikes. Temperatures have been mild. I'd go with waterproof hiking boots.

Can't speak for the Tetons, though.

As you've already seen YNP, have you explored any of the hiking trails around Dubois? Lake Louise is spectacular and completely free of ice and snow. You could forego one day in Yellowstone and try something closer.

Mentioned in this post
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
68 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Dubois
Dubois
Wyoming
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Banff National Park, Canada
Reply to: South Yellowstone, one day, Memorial Day