We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car (Coming in from Jackson -> Leaving from Bozeman)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car (Coming in from Jackson -> Leaving from Bozeman)

I've been looking for cheap rental cars for a ~3-5 day trip in July-September (exact dates to be determined; I plan to use company vacation so I'm very flexible.)

Jackson seems to have the cheapest rental cars (Dollar/Thrifty for <$30/day, though reviews are very bad, and $50 otherwise.) West Yellowstone and Bozeman are both in the $60-70/day range excluding taxes & fees (likely $80-90/day after.) Dollar/Thrifty only allow returning to the same location, no exceptions. Enterprise has a presence in Jackson & Bozeman, but returning to a different location incurs an $80 drop fee.

Is there any easy way to get from Jackson to Bozeman without a car? Of course, I'd prefer not to have to return to Jackson after West Yellowstone, if ultimately leaving from Bozeman. If there's no easy solution at a reasonable price, I might just have to return from Jackson instead of Bozeman.

Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,261 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car (Coming in from Jackson -> Leaving from Bozeman)

Don't book with vendors with cheap rates and bad reviews.

One way drop charges can be very expensive, especially out of JAC.

Arriving and returning to Bozeman would probably be your least expensive option - in rental cars and flights. It's not a bad drive to Yellowstone. You could do one side of Yellowstone as you drive south to the Tetons, enjoy the Tetons and then see the other side of Yellowstone as you loop back up to Bozeman.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,241 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car (Coming in from Jackson -> Leaving from Bozeman)

"Is there any easy way to get from Jackson to Bozeman without a car?"

No. No public transportation in or between the parks.

Someone recently also said (was it you??) they found they could not return a car rented in Jackson at the West Yellowstone airport. I've no personal experience with that.

If you need to return to Jackson, you might want to consider splitting your nights for Grand Tetons/Jackson altho with 5 days there is not much to split.

TBH, 3 nights is just not enough time for both parks. 5 nights is barely enough. I do understand whatever time you have is what you have. Just wanting you to manage expectations.

Pam

Reply to: Rental Car (Coming in from Jackson -> Leaving from Bozeman)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted