We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation in Lake/Fishing Bridge Area?

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation in Lake/Fishing Bridge Area?

Is there any kind of shuttle service offered between fishing bridge and lake hotel or bridge bay? Is that area at all bike friendly?? Wondering if we can leave RV at fishing bridge and go fishing out of bridge bay and grab some dinner at lake on the way back??

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,241 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation in Lake/Fishing Bridge Area?

No transportation at all in the park.

I wouldn't say it is bike friendly as there are no bike lanes but it might be doable. There will be construction starting at Fishing Bridge this June so that will probably have an impact on it.

You do need to have bear spray if you bike or walk this.

Pam

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,261 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation in Lake/Fishing Bridge Area?

I would not do that because of bears.

I'd especially not do that, smelling like fish.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation in Lake/Fishing Bridge Area?

We had our bikes with us and it was NOT bike friendly at all in Yellowstone, (unless you are a road biker and can maintain traffic speeds) but there are no bike lanes or bike trails (except a joint use trail filled with pedestrians near Old Faithful). The advice given to people with RVs is to either bring a toad...which is what most lifestyle RVers do...or rent a car...which is what most recreational renters do in Yellowstone. Yellowstone is not RV friendly at all... campgrounds and main roads are fine, but parking and pull outs are almost impossible.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation in Lake/Fishing Bridge Area?

The following is the link to Yellowstone Park's website that gives information about riding bicycles in the park.

https:/…bicycling.htm

There are a number of employees that live in the employee lodging area between Fishing Bridge Junction and the turnoff for the Lake Hotel/Lake Lodge complex that ride their bikes to and from work. Every summer trip that I've taken to the park I've seen at least one or tow employees on bikes.

The road from Fishing Bridge junction to Bridge Bay has good lines of sight and have shoulders. The road from Fishing Bridge junction to Fishing Bridge Campground , like Pam said, will be torn up due to road construction in the area. You should be able to skirt that construction by riding/walking your bike across the parking lot entries and on the sidewalk/walking path that goes from the campground to the bridge.

Yes, there are grizzly bears in the area but there has never been an incident where a person riding a bike on the roads in Yellowstone Park has been charged or attacked by a bear. Every year, there are groups of people that solely ride their bikes through Yellowstone Park over Dunraven Pass and through Lamar Valley and not one of them has ever been charged or attacked by a bear. That being said, if you ride your bike you need to be prepared and have bear spray in an area for easy access (handlebar, crossbar, on front strap of your day pack, etc) because just like hiking in the park or walking on boardwalks in popular areas in the park, there are no guarantees.

The immediate danger to people riding bicycles in Yellowstone Park are people driving vehicles, especially vehicles that have large mirrors that stick out. You always need to be hyper-alert of your surroundings both on the road and off the road. Is that worth it to you just to get to Bridge Bay to fish is up to you. If I was staying in the park for weeks it might to me but if my time was limited and I wanted to be able to see and experience as much as possible in a shorter period of time, I would drive.

If you already have your bikes with you and have the time, there are some nice areas where you can easily ride your bike without worrying about vehicles on the road. I would still highly recommend having bear spray with you.

Deb

Reply to: Transportation in Lake/Fishing Bridge Area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted