We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

san diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

After experiencing the Grand Tetons, We will be leaving Jackson Hole for Island Park, Id and are going the long way so we can go see Old Faithful since we only have 3 days to visit Yellowstone.

Questions:

1. coming in the South Entrance what stops should we make besides Old Faithful (along the Yellowstone route that will take us to the West Entrance)?

2. Where should we have lunch?

3. In early June what are the mosquitoes like (they LOVE me)?

4. Have you used the GyPSy app for driving through Yellowstone?

5. Days 2 & 3 planning on going to Mammoth Falls and Artiste Point. Is that doable from our home base in Island Park, Id?

6. Would love any recommendation from those who have been there!!!!!

11 replies to this topic
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

You're gonna skip the Canyon altogether?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,762 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

1. West Thumb Geyser Basin

2. Eat at Dornan's before you leave.

Pick up a deli sandwich at Dornan's to eat along the way.

At Old Faithful Inn. I like the bar next to the dining room. Great burgers and other bar food. One of my favorite places to eat in YNP.

3. Take spray no matter what anyone says if they like you that much.

4. No. But others like it.

5. Easily. People on this particular forum say "no" but thankfully I visited Yellowstone before the internet and loved using Island Park as a base. It will add 30 minutes of drive time to West Yellowstone, but WY is recommended daily on this forum. With 300 miles of paved roads in Yellowstone, another 30 minutes (on a very good road) is not a negative factor for me.

6. Read trip reports here. FrancesB's is one of the best!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,537 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

1. There is a whole geyser basin around Old Faithful. You can get the eruption times for predictable geysers at the OF Visitor Center. There are also smaller basins between the OF area and Madison along with some scenic side drives. You'll want to spend a minimum of 2 hours in the OF area as the interval between eruptions of OF can go as long as 110 minutes or so.

2. Old Faithful area. There is a General Store at Grant Village with a fair grill area if you are hungry before you get to OF.

3. They are worse at twilight. Have long sleeves and a hat available. I sometimes have had to put on my rain jacket and cinch down the hood to keep them off my scalp. I also use a buff/neck gaiter to reduce the amount of skin I have exposed.

4. I purchased it and used it last summer to see what it was like. Many report back that they enjoyed it but they are first timers and I think didn't see/hear the flaws. I didn't like the couple of times they kind of suggested people go off trail in thermal areas (strictly forbidden and terribly dangerous). I also felt they should have offered less about wolf re-introduction (it was January 1995 when they were re-introduced and in my view they didn't need to spend time telling who was the last group to try and file an injunction stopping the re-introduction in a time-limited presentation) and more focusing on education regarding wolf pack behavior/denning/hunting etc. It did keep up mostly with direction changes I made, just had one hiccup between West Thumb and OF where it was off track and this happened several times as I went back and forth on this road a number of times. If you download it bring a car charger with you as it depletes the battery fast. YMMV.

5. Here is a link to approximate drive times in Yellowstone. yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/content/up… You'll also need to be back to Island Park before dark as it is not recommended you drive in the park or nearby before or after sunrise/sunset. Go to www.sunrisesunset.com for times for your visit. You may encounter traffic at the West entrance gate when you enter in the AM. Exiting at night the west entrance road kind of reminds me of a speedway. Once you get in line it's hard to do anything but stay in line. If you stop it's hard to get a break to get back in. Since you are less than a month out you are pretty much stuck with what you've got.

Mammoth area is made travertine terraces not waterfalls. The Upper and Lower Falls of the Yellowstone river are visible in the Canyon area. Artist Point has an excellent view of the Lower Falls (the bigger one) and up/down stream views of the Canyon. There are some trail/parking lot closures in the Canyon area so traffic may be piled up more than usual getting to the parking lot of Artist Point.

6. What kind of recommendations are you looking for?

Pam

san diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

I don’t know - how far are they from Island Park??

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

.>>I don’t know - how far are they from Island Park??<<<

If you go to the estimated drive time map that Pam linked in her #5 paragraph in post #3, you can see how miles it is from one area to the next and how many minutes to plan on it taking you to get to each area.

As far as how far it is from Island Park to the west entrance (West Yellowstone) that depends on how many miles from West Yellowstone your lodging in Island Park is. Island Park is billed as the "longest main street in Idaho" for a reason (it's 33 miles long! LOL).

Deb

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,537 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

Yes, it really depends on where your lodging is located. Some might be 30 minutes from the west gate, some up to 45 minutes. As Deb indicates, then you can calculate your drive time from the west gate to wherever in the park you'd like to go.

What kind of distance/time suggestion to the West gate do they give on the rental site? If you've got an address you can plug it in to Googlemaps. Googlemaps is not accurate at all for in the park or some of the mountain areas outside the park but should be OK for a rough estimate from Island Park to the West Entrance gate of West Yellowstone.

PS Deb, we Idahoans are not given to hyperbole but that sign in Island Park may say the longest Main St in the US, not just Idaho, hahaha! I'll have to look next time I go by there when I am heading back home!)

Pam

Edited: 13 May 2018, 08:35
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

>>>PS Deb, we Idahoans are not given to hyperbole but that sign in Island Park may say the longest Main St in the US, not just Idaho, hahaha! I'll have to look next time I go by there when I am heading back home!)<<<

Get a pic...........because it's not real without a pic. ; - )

Deb

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,537 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

Yes ma'am!

Well...bless google, look what I found, hahaha!!

https://tinyurl.com/yald8eej

That saves me a 9 hr drive one way to go check on it.

Pam

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Jackson Hole to Old Faithful and what is in between

LOL......But I wanted a "Pam photo"!

Deb

san diego