We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with accommodation early June

3 posts
Save Topic
Help with accommodation early June

We are a family of 4 with two girls of 5 and 8. we will be flying in SLC. Below is our current itinerary for accommodation in early June.

For night #6, we are fortunate enough to get a reservation for Roosevelt Cabin with bath. Right now, we can't decide between Roosevelt and Lake Hotel for the night. Any suggestions and input are greatly appreciated. We will be cancelling one (Roosevelt/Lake hotel) today.

Day 0 - North South Lake

Day 1 - Colter Bay Village

Day 2 - Colter Bay Village

Day 3 - Old Faithful

Day 4 - Old Faithful

Day 5 - Mammoth

Day 6 - Roosevelt Or Lake hotel?

Day 7 - Lake hotel

Day 8 - SLC

We will flight out SLC in the afternoon of Day 9.

Thanks for your advise.

Mentioned in this post
Colter Bay Village
Colter Bay Village
1,248 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Yellowstone National Park
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
#1 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
#2 of 6 hotels in Yellowstone National Park
9 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,160 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with accommodation early June

Welcome to TA forums!

Oh gosh...even though I'm not big on changing hotels, I'd go with Roosevelt on Day 6 and Lake on 7. Early June is a wonderful time to see bears in the park and they are often along the Northern Range Road from Mammoth out to Lamar Valley. The Roosevelt location puts you right in then center. Last year there were Moms with cubs of the year in the Petrified Tree area as well as just a few miles south of Roosevelt near Calcite Springs pull out. Staying there overnight will allow you to be in these areas early-ish as well as late afternoon/early evening on the day you stay overnight.

June can be chilly and since I don't see where you are from I'll just add that you'll need jackets, light gloves/glove liners and warm hats especially if you will be out early in the AM for wildlife watching. Overnight temps can easily be below freezing.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,534 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with accommodation early June

Thank you Pam for your advice. Much appreciated.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with accommodation early June

We've been staying at both Roosevelt and Lake Lodge for our (grandson and me) annual 2nd week of June trip for the last 4 years. Before that we always tent-camped during our trips.

It would be a tough decision for me.....two nights at Lake is always good as there are a lot of physical attractions (the canyon with multiple trails, Mud Volcano area, Fishing Bridge, Hayden Valley) in that area that you can enjoy at a more leisurely rate if you have two nights.

But like Pam said, a night at Roosevelt will allow you to be right in the middle of "black bear central". You will have a better chance of seeing a black bear with cubs of the year (there is one with 3 newborn cubs this year) staying at Roosevelt. Black bear sows keep their cubs near the roads to keep safer from boars that want to kill the cubs so they can breed with the sow. That is the reason why you will also see grizzly bear sows with cubs of the year near the roads too. Staying at Roosevelt will also allow you to get to Lamar Valley easier. The Junction Butte wolf pack has a den just off the Slough Creek Campground road. The latest report is 6-7 black pups and 3 light colored pups with possibly more pups not seen yet. There will be great wolf watching at that site going into June. Lots of people will have scopes set up and most are very willing to let you look through the scopes if you strike up a genuine conversation with them and ask nicely if you can look through their scope.

No matter what your final decision is, you will have a great time.

I don't know your exact dates, but my grandson and I will be at Roosevelt the nights of June 9, 10, and 11th. We will then be at Lake Lodge the nights of June 12, and 13th. If our dates match any of yours, let me know. I'll give you a description of my vehicle and us so you can look for us. We have two scopes and step stools for kids (and height-challenged adults LOL) to use to look through our scopes and absolutely love sharing the scopes with other visitors.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
930 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,534 Reviews
Butte
Butte
Montana
Slough Creek Campground
Slough Creek Campground
22 Reviews
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with accommodation early June

Small thread hijack...Deb, where do you get all this wonderful wildlife info? We will be there starting on the 12th for the first time and I am so excited to see all these new babies!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with accommodation early June

Staci,

I'm blessed to live close enough to Yellowstone Park to go multiple times each year and have been doing so since my daughter was 2 years old (she is now 39) . I started taking my grandson to the park when he was around 4/5 (he will be 20 this summer). For the last 10 years, the focus of my grandson and my trips have always been wildlife so we've learned through experience where the "popular" animals are at different times of the year and how to maximize our chances of seeing one. I also have some friends that are in the park almost every day and get reports from them either personally or through their facebook pages. Even with past experience and connections with people in the park, there is never any guarantee for sighting the popular animals as they do move around. We've had trips where we've only seen a few and we've had trips that we hit the mother lode of viewing opportunities. No matter which end of the spectrum it is, we've always have had a fantastic time. If the wolf/bear activity is just not in our favor, we focus on the smaller animals that are on our list of fun animals to watch (pikas, otters, birds, and yes, even ground squirrels) .

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Yellowstone Park Hotel
Yellowstone Park Hotel
656 Reviews
West Yellowstone, MT
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with accommodation early June

Thanks a lot Deb. Appreciate the helpful information on the animal watching. We'll be sure to checkout Slough Creek area. We will be staying at Roosevelt on the 12th and Lake Lodge on the 13th. Please feel free to direct message me your vehicle details, if I happen to see you in the park I'll stop by to say hi and thank you in person.

Mentioned in this post
Slough Creek
Slough Creek
45 Reviews
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with accommodation early June

>>> Please feel free to direct message me your vehicle details, if I happen to see you in the park I'll stop by to say hi and thank you in person.<<<

I've described my car quite a few times in here so it's no big deal. I just didn't want to do it if your days didn't match up with ours. : )

I drive a light silver (with a light blue tinge) Subaru Outback. There will be a black Yakima Skybox on it with lots of stickers on each side. I have Montana specialty license plates on it that say Yellowstone National Park with a grizzly bear on it. I'm a short chubby grandma and my grandson is a little over 6 feet tall so I think we stick out in a group of wildlife watchers with scopes pretty good.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Yakima
Yakima
Washington
Montana
Montana
United States
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with accommodation early June

Yes thank you Deb for the valuable information! We won’t arrive in the park until the 12th, but we will be at Canyon the first few nights so I will keep an eye out for you!

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with accommodation early June

>>>We will be staying at Roosevelt on the 12th and Lake Lodge on the 13th<<<

Well, apparently I had my trip dates all messed up. I didn't realize it until today when a friend that is driving up from Texas with his family called today to ask some questions. He was trying to figure out a time to meet at Roosevelt the first day and kept saying Sunday, June 10th. I kept saying our first night was Saturday June 9th but he was adamant about it so I got out my confirmation emails. Sure enough, we are at Roosevelt June 10, 11, and 12th. And then Lake Lodge starting Wednesday June 13 for two nights. I'm sure glad he called and was so adamant about it that I checked my confirmations. It would have been real embarrassing to show up at the front desk of Roosevelt on Saturday June 9th expecting a cabin for that night. And...... an uncomfortable night sleeping in the car somewhere outside the park that night (been there , done that.....not fun).

So.......it looks like the chances of running into to each other has just increased as we're staying the same night (12th) at Roosevelt and the same night (13th) at Lake Lodge. : - )

I'm going to blame my blunder on work stress because old age can't have anything to do with it. Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

PS.....while I'm thinking about it, I better get the dates changed in my phone and fridge calendars and notify my dogs/cats pet sitter. : - / LOL

Deb

Edited: 14 May 2018, 09:01
Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Reply to: Help with accommodation early June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted