We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

Hello All,

Thanks so much for your help in the past with this trip, but I'm back asking for more. Our trip starts on June 1, so it is coming up fast. Below I am putting my schedule, hoping you can take a look and see what you think: (Sorry this may be long).

Friday, June 1 - Lodging Bozeman B&B

Me and the husband flying into Bozeman.

Pickup rental car (I have booked a Nissan Armada or similar....is this too large? We have 5 adults in the final party, all their luggage, ice chest, small backpacks, etc. I am just worried about parking around the park and such.)

Local B&B for the night (booked). Trip shopping (food and such). Go to Museum of the Rockies.

Saturday, June 2 - Lodging Old Faithful Inn

We pick up the 3 kids (yes they are all over 24, but they are still kids to me, lol).

Have lunch locally, drive to Old Faithful Inn via HW 191 (not sure how long this drive really takes, but I have 3 hours scheduled). Check in. Ranger's tour/or self guided tour of geyser's near Old Faithful.

Get the Upper Geyser Basin walking tour done (self guided)

5:15 PM Dinner reservations at Old Faithful Inn Dining Room

7:00 PM Old Faithful Evening Program (free) 45 minutes

Additional things to see nearby: Not really sure how much of this stuff is in the tours I have booked) Madison for the thermal areas, Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Midway Basin, Firehole Lake Dr., Fountain Paint Pots, Fountain Flat Drive, Firehole Canyon Drive.

Sunday, June 3 – Lodging Old Faithful Inn

8:25 AM-4:30 PM Circle of Fire Bus Tour (booked)

Fountain Flat Drive

Maybe head over to Midway basin and the Thumb area, see Fishing Hole Geyser. Lake Butte, Visitors Center, ice cream in market across from Visitors Center….lol have to cover everything.

(Not sure how much of the above we will have time for).

Dinner at Obsidian Dining Room/Basin Store (no reservations)

Monday, June 4 – Lodging Roosevelt Lodge

Tour Old Faithful Inn

12:45-4:00 PM Firehold Basin Adventure Tour (booked)

Drive to Roosevelt Lodge

(should we drive to Roosevelt via Mammoth or via the Canyon route?)

Dinner at Roosevelt (no reservations)

Tuesday, June 5 – Lodging Roosevelt cabins

Drive over to Mammoth and thinking about driving out to Gardiner (is Gardiner worth it? Thought about having lunch in either Gardiner or Mammoth).

Self-guided tour….Mammoth Hot Springs Visitor Center, Mammoth Hot Springs, Roosevelt Arch, Sheepeater Cliffs, Gibbons Falls, Obsidian Cliffs.

Perhaps Tower Falls and overlooks north of there….

4:15 PM-11:00 PM Trail Ride and Cookout Dinner at Roosevelt (booked)

Wednesday, June 6 - Lodging Canyon Lodge

Norris Geyser Basin, and Norris Geyser Basin Museum, if tours have not already included it.

Yellowstone Grand Canyon- Hike

Dinner-no reservations

Thursday, June 7 – Lodging Canyon Lodge

Don’t have anything really scheduled or planned

5:00 PM Dinner Reservation, Canyon Lodge Dining Room

Friday, June 8 – Lodging B&B house in Wilson, WY

6:15-11:30 AM Wake Up to Wild Life (Lamar Valley) (booked).

I have this booked for 5 people, I really wonder if this is worth the cost, since its $75 per person (x5). I’m wondering since we will be up at Roosevelt for 2 days if we shouldn’t just try this on our own??? Can someone who has taken the tour tell me if it is worth it? Oh plus we have a very late night since we are doing a stargazing tour. Are we trying to do too much in one day? Thanks.

Drive through grand Teton’s/Scenic tour

6:00 PM Jackson Hole Shoot-out, Jackson, WY

7:00 PM Dinner reservations/Calico Rest. In Wilson (booked)

9:00-11:00 PM Wyoming Stargazing (booked)

Saturday, June 9 - Lodging B&B house in Wilson, WY

Tram Ride in the mountains

Waffles at Corbet’s Cabin

Hike “Top of the World” (short easy hike)

Death Canyon Trailhead – 1 mile

Signal Mt. Lodge (Signal Mt. Road to overlook)

6:30 PM Bar J. Chuckwagon supper and Show, Wilson, WY (booked)

Sunday, June 10

Kids fly out of Jackson, WY

Hmmmm what do the husband and I do with our selves now.

Monday, June 11

Husband and I fly out first thing in the am

Well anyway that’s it, if anyone has any input would love to hear it. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
2,739 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,948 Reviews
Upper Geyser Basin
Upper Geyser Basin
1,048 Reviews
Old Faithful Inn Dining Room
Old Faithful Inn Dining...
2,110 Reviews
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Black Sand Basin
Black Sand Basin
117 Reviews
Biscuit Basin
Biscuit Basin
332 Reviews
Firehole Canyon Drive
Firehole Canyon Drive
561 Reviews
Butte
Butte
Montana
Obsidian Dining Room
Obsidian Dining Room
583 Reviews
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
371 Reviews
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,658 Reviews
Roosevelt Arch
Roosevelt Arch
306 Reviews
Norris Geyser Basin
Norris Geyser Basin
823 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,378 Reviews
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
10 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

Saturday, June 2 - Lodging Old Faithful Inn

We pick up the 3 kids (yes they are all over 24, but they are still kids to me, lol).

Have lunch locally, drive to Old Faithful Inn via HW 191 (not sure how long this drive really takes, but I have 3 hours scheduled). Check in. Ranger's tour/or self guided tour of geyser's near Old Faithful.

Get the Upper Geyser Basin walking tour done (self guided)

5:15 PM Dinner reservations at Old Faithful Inn Dining Room

7:00 PM Old Faithful Evening Program (free) 45 minutes

Additional things to see nearby: Not really sure how much of this stuff is in the tours I have booked) Madison for the thermal areas, Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Midway Basin, Firehole Lake Dr., Fountain Paint Pots, Fountain Flat Drive, Firehole Canyon Drive.> Check the geyser predictions before you get to the park, in case you are able to try and catch something. Room check-in is 4:30, so maybe catch OF or just have a beverage and enjoy the Inn before dinner? After dinner, predicted geysers/ranger program.

Sunday, June 3 – Lodging Old Faithful Inn

8:25 AM-4:30 PM Circle of Fire Bus Tour (booked)

Fountain Flat Drive

Maybe head over to Midway basin and the Thumb area, see Fishing Hole Geyser. Lake Butte, Visitors Center, ice cream in market across from Visitors Center….lol have to cover everything.

(Not sure how much of the above we will have time for).

Dinner at Obsidian Dining Room/Basin Store (no reservations)> This tour takes the day and does the entire lower loop. You can do that if you want, but you will be seeing those areas again on your own. I personally would save this $$ and tour the areas on the west side yourself.

Monday, June 4 – Lodging Roosevelt Lodge

Tour Old Faithful Inn

12:45-4:00 PM Firehold Basin Adventure Tour (booked)

Drive to Roosevelt Lodge

(should we drive to Roosevelt via Mammoth or via the Canyon route?)

Dinner at Roosevelt (no reservations)> Again, this tour will see things you can do on your own if you want. Possibly duplicate areas if you took the paid tour yesterday. I would do any areas you missed, Norris, things on the Norris/Mammoth road, Gardiner for lunch and the drive to the arch, Mammoth Terraces, north road, Lamar Valley, ending at Roosevelt.

Tuesday, June 5 – Lodging Roosevelt cabins

Drive over to Mammoth and thinking about driving out to Gardiner (is Gardiner worth it? Thought about having lunch in either Gardiner or Mammoth).

Self-guided tour….Mammoth Hot Springs Visitor Center, Mammoth Hot Springs, Roosevelt Arch, Sheepeater Cliffs, Gibbons Falls, Obsidian Cliffs.

Perhaps Tower Falls and overlooks north of there….

4:15 PM-11:00 PM Trail Ride and Cookout Dinner at Roosevelt (booked)> I would do Lamar Valley, Tower Falls, Calcite Springs today. Possible hike, or drive on out to Cooke City for lunch.

Wednesday, June 6 - Lodging Canyon Lodge

Norris Geyser Basin, and Norris Geyser Basin Museum, if tours have not already included it.

Yellowstone Grand Canyon- Hike

Dinner-no reservations> Early morning Lamar, over Dunraven Pass and the Canyon area. Hayden Valley evening.

Thursday, June 7 – Lodging Canyon Lodge

Don’t have anything really scheduled or planned

5:00 PM Dinner Reservation, Canyon Lodge Dining Room> I would do Lamar Valley, Mud Volcano, Fishing Bridge, Lake today.

Friday, June 8 – Lodging B&B house in Wilson, WY

6:15-11:30 AM Wake Up to Wild Life (Lamar Valley) (booked).

I have this booked for 5 people, I really wonder if this is worth the cost, since its $75 per person (x5). I’m wondering since we will be up at Roosevelt for 2 days if we shouldn’t just try this on our own??? Can someone who has taken the tour tell me if it is worth it? Oh plus we have a very late night since we are doing a stargazing tour. Are we trying to do too much in one day? Thanks.> I would skip this tour. DO Lamar Valley on your own and stop at waterfalls, West Thumb on your way out of the park.

Drive through grand Teton’s/Scenic tour

6:00 PM Jackson Hole Shoot-out, Jackson, WY

7:00 PM Dinner reservations/Calico Rest. In Wilson (booked)

9:00-11:00 PM Wyoming Stargazing (booked)

Saturday, June 9 - Lodging B&B house in Wilson, WY

Tram Ride in the mountains

Waffles at Corbet’s Cabin

Hike “Top of the World” (short easy hike)

Death Canyon Trailhead – 1 mile

Signal Mt. Lodge (Signal Mt. Road to overlook)

6:30 PM Bar J. Chuckwagon supper and Show, Wilson, WY (booked)

Sunday, June 10

Kids fly out of Jackson, WY

Hmmmm what do the husband and I do with our selves now.> hehehe.....

Monday, June 11

Husband and I fly out first thing in the am

Well anyway that’s it, if anyone has any input would love to hear it. Thanks for your help.

Of course you can take the tours if you prefer to have others drive. But you have a great balance of time and lodging to see it on your own if you choose. We look forward to the trip report!!

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
2,739 Reviews
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,948 Reviews
Upper Geyser Basin
Upper Geyser Basin
1,048 Reviews
Old Faithful Inn Dining Room
Old Faithful Inn Dining...
2,110 Reviews
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Black Sand Basin
Black Sand Basin
117 Reviews
Biscuit Basin
Biscuit Basin
332 Reviews
Firehole Canyon Drive
Firehole Canyon Drive
561 Reviews
Butte
Butte
Montana
Obsidian Dining Room
Obsidian Dining Room
583 Reviews
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
371 Reviews
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,378 Reviews
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,658 Reviews
Roosevelt Arch
Roosevelt Arch
306 Reviews
Norris Geyser Basin
Norris Geyser Basin
823 Reviews
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
161 Reviews
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
861 Reviews
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

Here are my thoughts:

June 1: looks fine

2: It will take every bit of 3 hours from Bozeman Airport to West Yellowstone probably closer to 4 hours. West gate to Old Faithful can easily take 1.5 hours. Bozeman Airport to West Yellowstone is minimum 1.5 hours. That time of day you probably will not have any traffic at the entrance gate so that should be quick. You'll have quite a bit of daylight this time of year so you can walk the Upper Geyser Basin after dinner if you need to. One night go to Midway geyser basin in the early evening after the day crowds have left. If you get to OF VC before they close for the day, get the eruption times for the predictable geysers and try to see some of them.

3: If you are doing the Circle of Fire tour you may have time to do Midway and some of the things you listed under yesterday's date but you will not have time to drive from OF to West Thumb, the Lake area or the Fishing Bridge area. You can do that on your day you are at Canyon Lodge.

I think usually the Circle of Fire is done in a full-sized bus so you will not drive some of the scenic side roads as they have restricted weight limits.

4: I'd try to see some of the predictable geysers this AM. They are mostly in the Upper Geyser Basin which is accessible only on foot so the driving tour you have scheduled this afternoon will not go there.

***To be honest, I might do the free Ranger led walk thru the Upper Basin this AM at 830 over the tour you have booked. I'm also not sure if it is too late to cancel the tour. If it is, just go with it.

I'd go via Canyon and Dunraven Pass, weather permitting so you are not in the road construction. Stop at Tower Fall, Calcite Springs and the overlooks between them this afternoon. If you have time, do an evening drive either east to Lamar Valley or toward Mammoth to look for wildlife before dark. Drive back in to Petrified Tree - the tree is not much but there is often a black bear sow with a new cub back in the meadow area here.

5: The best thing about staying at Roosevelt is it's proximity to Lamar Valley. You are visiting at a good time to view wildlife so I would start out with driving out into Lamar Valley first thing in the AM. Drive at least to Soda Butte or Pebble Creek Campground. Stop where you see people out with scopes. The earlier you can do this the better. Some people head out at first light, then come back for breakfast. Head back to Mammoth after this if you have time. You will also probably see LOTS of wildlife along the way from Tower Roosevelt Junction to Mammoth. If you have time do Tower Fall this afternoon.

6: I'd probably take another early morning drive out to Lamar then do Mammoth this AM if you didn't get it in yesterday, then Norris area. If you have time when you get to Canyon, do some of the overlooks on the South and North Rims. I found this area very heavily trafficked last June, so any time you can work in the overlooks early and late that's good. I'd also consider driving south thru Hayden Valley for wildlife watching in the early evening. You'll need to be back to your lodging before dark.

7: I'd do the things you were considering in the Lake/Fishing Bridge area on June 3 today. Hayden Valley, Mud Volcano, Lehardy Rapids, Fishing Bridge area, Lake Village, Lake Butte Overlook

8: I see you have Wake Up to Wildlife booked today. The tours are usually pretty good, it really depends on what animals are out. This is a good time of year to see lots of things. I suspect this was not available for your time at Roosevelt? I did suggest you do Lamar on your own from there, but doing a tour even after you've done it on your own is good. What you see from hour to hour or even minute to minute can change. I'd keep this tour (move to a different day if you can??) over doing the Circle of Fire tour! Stop at West Thumb on your way south to Grand Tetons.

This is a long day. I think you'd do better if you can move the wildlife tour to your other AM at Canyon or one of your days at Roosevelt.

What a fun family trip with *the kids*!! We'd love for you to do a Trip Report!

**editing to add - thbergs beat me to it! It serves me right for stopping in the middle to fix tea and get a cookie, hahaha!!

Pam

Edited: 11 May 2018, 06:24
Mentioned in this post
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,948 Reviews
Upper Geyser Basin
Upper Geyser Basin
1,048 Reviews
Midway Geyser Basin
Midway Geyser Basin
478 Reviews
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
161 Reviews
Tower Fall
Tower Fall
265 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,378 Reviews
Butte
Butte
Montana
Pebble Creek Campground
Pebble Creek Campground
13 Reviews
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
861 Reviews
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

Pam's plan may flow better for you, so check the map, what the family wants and do what works for all of you. And yes, trip report, please! Hey, that's what you and hubby can do after the kids get on the plane!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

Thanks for the input, I have a lot to think about now.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

I really like the idea of cancelling some of the tours. The $ difference is always good. And as ya have said we have plenty of time. I will try and take some notes, and put up a report at the end. :)

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

If you are open to cancelling tours, I agree with thbergs about the full day Circle of Fire and the half day geyser tour. Consider replacing those with the free Ranger tour at 830A plus there is another afternoon one in another part of the Upper Basin at 430 (leaves from Castle Geyser).

https:/…2018Summer_Ranger_prog-OF.pdf

If you want to keep one, I'd do the Wake up to Wildlife. They book out so you might not be able to change it to an earlier time but if you can that would be good.

OF Inn tour is good too - as well as being free, lol!!

Pam

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

I always like free!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

I really like the idea of cancelling both the Circle of Fire tour and the 1/2 day geyser tour, and replacing with ranger tours. But I also like the idea of keeping one of those and getting rid of that early morning "Wake up to Wildlife" tour.....but I really don't want to get rid of all 3 I don't think. That early morning tour is just in such a bad place when you consider the stargazing that night, but it was the only day I could get. I think I will cancel the "Wildlife" tour for sure (unless I can move it...but I don't think I can), since we will be up in that area anyway, we should be able to do that on our own. Now I just have to look at the other two and see if I'm keeping them or not.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

You could look at an evening wildlife tour from Canyon if you really want a tour.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice

I might look into that, but the more I look into it I realize we have plenty of time to go on our own. Thanks.

Reply to: June 2018 Trip......Need Suggestions and Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted