We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
709 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

We are considering coming when we can rent a boat on yellowstone lake end of aug. I had thought i would camp at bridge bay but read somewhere that grant campground was more treed and had better views of the lake? We prefer treed campsites. Shower facilities will not factor in to our decision. We will be looking for wildlife also and i know bridge bay is closer to hayden valley but not by much is it? Does anyone have any opinions or info about either that might be helpful? thanks!

7 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

Bridge Bay is probably 45 minutes closer to Hayden Valley than Grant Village so for getting to wildlife rich areas early in the AM or staying in the evening this time could be significant.

yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/content/up…

Can't comment on the campsites as I don't camp so my thoughts are based on location only.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
202 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
858 Reviews
Grant Village Lodge
Grant Village Lodge
1,013 Reviews
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

I've never camped at Grant Campground but have camped at Bridge Bay Campground numerous times over the last 36+ years. With the exception of the bottom 4 loops (A- D) it is my most favorite campground that takes reservations. While the lake is across the road, the shore is easy to drive to and there are a few trails you can use to walk down to the shore. Loops A- D are in an open field with Loop A-C mixed use and Loop D tent only. Loops E and F are tent only with some decent views of the lake from Loop F. Loops G-H are mixed use campsites in the trees with no views of the lake. My absolute favorite loop and the one I request is Loop I which is tent only and very secluded. I usually request campsite 424 or 425 and while there are never any guarantees, I've always been able to get them. Loop J is in the trees and is a Group-Hiker/Biker Tent only loop.

Campground map of Bridge Bay Campground *also has some pics

http://www.yellowstone.co/maps/bridgebay.htm

Campground map of Grant Campground *also has some pics

http://www.yellowstone.co/maps/grant.htm

Trip Advisor has reviews for each campground that include lots of pics.

Bridge Bay Campground Trip Advisor Reviews/Pics

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60…

Grant Campground Trip Advisor Reviews/Pics

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60…

IMO, Grant Campground would be ok for touring the southern part of the park including the Old Faithful Geyser Basin but 45 minutes it takes to drive from Grant Village to the Fishing Bridge Junction is a long, sometimes boring drive especially if you have to do it multiple times during your stay. Bridge Bay is 4 miles south of the Fishing Bridge Junction which takes maybe 5-10 to drive depending on the traffic. From Fishing Bridge to the middle of Hayden Valley plan on another 20 minutes (maybe longer if you get into a bison jam). If you're looking to optimize your chance of seeing wolves and grizzly bears staying at Bridge Bay will give you the best chance.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
202 Reviews
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,945 Reviews
Grant Village Lodge
Grant Village Lodge
1,013 Reviews
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
858 Reviews
Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

thanks! We are towing a travel trailer. I wonder what site they would put us in...i suppose one in the open field...was really hoping to be in the trees but i guess location makes more sense at bridge bay....

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

Have stayed in both many times over the years.

Grant would be my choice based on the campsite itself, the wildlife in

the area and from our loop and campsite we were able to walk down the hill

right to the lake.

Grant to me seem more :campy: if that is actual word. We were in RV all the

times we have stayed.

I will say also when we stayed at Bridge Bay we walked down to he marina, under the

bridge and had very private lake side spot to just sit and enjoy...we also hiked the Natural

Bridge from our campsite.

We traveled all over the park from both campgrounds and I guess might be the exception

that we did not let campground location limit our day trips.

The showers and laundry at Grant are GREAT.

enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
202 Reviews
Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

yeah thats what i was wondering lol if grant would feel more "campy" ...we like treed and more private spots. Bridge Bay being closest to the marina would make the most sense but idk...

Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
202 Reviews
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,770 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

This doesn't affect your August trip, but for those coming soon. On today's Yellowstone National Park Facebook page: " With the heavy amounts of snowfall this past winter, Bridge Bay Campground is still digging out! With this in mind, we urge campers to consider the potential for snowy or wet ground if you plan on camping at Bridge Bay. RV pads may be clear, but fire rings, tables and the surrounding site may be wet and/or snowy." And a couple of pics! Spring hasn't taken over in the park! https:/…

Edited: 11 May 2018, 05:36
Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
202 Reviews
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?

thbergs......I have some pics from Memorial Weekend 2011 where there is 2-3 feet of snow still at Bridge Bay Campground. We were going to tent camp there but decided to go to Madison instead. There were a few camper/trailers camping at Bridge Bay and there were actually 2 tents set up in the snow. At that time, I didn't have a 3 season tent so decided it probably wasn't a good idea for us. We still had some snow at Madison that weekend but it wasn't too bad. The worse thing was it rained non-stop that weekend on the west side of the park so it was a pretty miserable weekend tent camping. A lot of our gear got wet. That is when I went to a 3 season tent.

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Bridge Bay Campground
Bridge Bay Campground
202 Reviews
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Reply to: Bridge Bay or Grant campground?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted