We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Service at Grant Village Campground???

Dracut...
4 posts
Save Topic
Cell Service at Grant Village Campground???

Is there cell service at Grant Village Campground? While we are there I'll inevitably have to be connected to work. If there is what provider seems to be the best? I currently use sprint (company phone) & am guessing they do not have service in YNP. I'm considering getting a low end phone with hot spot capabilities & signing up with one of the no contract providers that use Verizon's network. At least that way I can maybe have internet while there. What are you thoughts?

Thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Grant Village Campground
Grant Village Campground
196 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
4 replies to this topic
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Service at Grant Village Campground???

From Yellowstone National Park's 2018 Visitor's Guide:

Cell phone service

Cell phone service is very limited in

the park and surrounding areas. General

cell coverage areas are marked on the park

map (back cover). Emergency 911 service

by cell phone is only available in coverage

areas. During peak hours or seasons of heavy

visitation, the cellular network may be slow

or completely unavailable. As a courtesy to

others, please silence your mobile device while

enjoying Yellowstone’s natural features

The map that shows where there is cell service can be found on the last page on the link on this thread.

The map keys says:

Approximate Cell

Coverage Areas

Verizon: all coverage areas

AT&T: Canyon

Union Telecom: Grant, Old

Faithful, and Mammoth

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999…

Mentioned in this post
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Service at Grant Village Campground???

I'll just add that I have service with a small local cell company that roams on Verizon. I have excellent coverage at OF, varying degrees at Canyon. When I stayed at Lake Village last summer I could only get enough service to PM, could not load FB or TA pages ( <gasp>!!). I was in the West Thumb area twice for several hours but didn't try my phone there so can't guess at what the situation might be at Grant Campground.

If you need to be in contact for work, you might wind up heading over to OF to get connected. BTW, Madison Campground at Madison Junction has no service at all.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Madison Campground
Madison Campground
220 Reviews
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Dracut...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Service at Grant Village Campground???

I may just buy a Verizon Jetpack and give that a try. I spoke with one of their agents today. They say I'll have service at Grant if I use the 7730L.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Service at Grant Village Campground???

"While we are there I'll inevitably have to be connected to work. .... What are you thoughts?

My thoughts are - take a vacation from work while you are in Yellowstone. It's the very worst - or best - place to go on vacation from work BECAUSE it's so "disconnected". If you value your job, tell them you will be offline for the days/week you will be in Yellowstone - and then go offline and enjoy being in Yellowstone.

In reality, you'll have SOME sort of service using Verizon in every "village". We even had enough service to use my iPhone as a hot spot for a friend's tablet and I could play short videos (on Facebook). But that's the huge exception. And that was in fall. Access in summer is very different due to call volume. You can't COUNT on cell reception for phone calls and texts. My advice is not to jeopardize your job by expecting to be able to connect enough for business services.

If that's important, go to locations with paid service - but that's no fun for the others traveling with you.

https:/…goodsandservices.htm

Cellular Service

Cell towers at Mammoth Hot Springs, West Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Grant Village, Lake Village, and Mount Washburn provide limited service to most developed areas and at the North and West entrances. During summer, the number of users can overwhelm cellular circuits resulting in an inability to send or receive calls, text, or use cellular data. Do not rely on cellular service in Yellowstone. Texting is usually the most effective means of communication in the park. As a courtesy to others, please silence your mobile device while enjoying Yellowstone’s natural features.

Check with your provider to verify coverage. Cellular service is available in most nearby communities and along some of the major highways leading to the park. However, areas without coverage exist throughout the region.

Wi-Fi

Free Wi-Fi is available at the Albright Visitor Center in Mammoth Hot Springs. Wireless internet access can be purchased at the Mammoth Hotel Lounge, the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, Lake Lodge Cafeteria, and Grant Village Lodge buildings. Connectivity is limited and may not be available at all times.

Mentioned in this post
Mammoth Hot Springs
Mammoth Hot Springs
1,654 Reviews
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,943 Reviews
Grant Village Lodge
Grant Village Lodge
1,013 Reviews
Mount Washburn
Mount Washburn
356 Reviews
Reply to: Cell Service at Grant Village Campground???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted