We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

3 posts
Save Topic
Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

We have reservations at Fishing Bridge rv park June 17-21. We'll be driving through Utah to enter through West Yellowstone and when we check out, we're heading to Bear Lake for a family reunion for another few days so we'll probably be leaving through the Grand Tetons.

The amount of information available is overwhelming and I'm having trouble figuring out our itinerary. We are a family of 5 with three boys 16, 7 and 5. I've seen the Jr Ranger information and the Grizzly habitat and I like those options. I also think they'd like stargazing and some short, easy hikes and of course, Old Faithful. All meals will be either back at our rv site or picnic with some ice cream snacks as needed/wanted.

I'd be most grateful for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Fishing Bridge RV Park
Fishing Bridge RV Park
275 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Utah
Utah
United States
8 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

Will you have a tow vehicle to tour the park? Pets? Where is the night before, coming from Utah, so we know how much time you have on 17th. Where do you need to be on 21st?

Edited: 09 May 2018, 10:10
Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

Yes we will have a vehicle to drive around. It’s a travel trailer.

We probably won’t arrive until evening on the 17th and we have reservations at an rv park on the Idaho side of bear lake for the evening of the 21st so we will need to leave by check out time.

So for planning purposes, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are what I’m looking at.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

17: Arriving from the west in the evening, be sure you can make Fishing Bridge before dark. Today will just be getting there and setting up. There are reports that you may need to rig unusual things for hook-ups, so come prepared for a bit of McGyvering. The Fishing Bridge General store would work for food if not cooking. Or icecream :)

18, 19, 20 are interchangeable, as you begin and end at Fishing Bridge. Keep in mind, you will be driving Hayden Valley often, watching for wildlife, so the timing can change based on the time you spend there.

One day: Drive north loop. Go past Canyon, over Dunraven Pass Tower Falls, Lamar Valley, Mammoth and back to Fishing Bridge via Norris/Canyon road.

One day: Drive to west side. Get geyser predictions for the Upper Basin. Lunch at the lower general store? , see other thermal areas, and make way back to Old Faithful, via Canyon.

One day: Canyon/Lake area. If you need more thermal time, go back to the west side first, then do Canyon on the way back to Fishing Bridge.

21: up and out early- head to Bear Lake via south gate and drive through the Grand Tetons.

Mentioned in this post
Fishing Bridge General Store
Fishing Bridge General...
104 Reviews
Hayden Valley
Hayden Valley
862 Reviews
Dunraven Lodge
Dunraven Lodge
161 Reviews
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,378 Reviews
Norris Campground
Norris Campground
67 Reviews
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

Here is the map for drive times in the park. Basically, miles times two, not including any touring stops or wildlife jams. https:/…Park-Map-with-mileage.pdf

Here is the map you get at the gate. Toggle to the brochure view. https:/…maps.htm

There will be construction in the Fishing Bridge area. No idea where it will be exactly during your time, so you may or may not have delays on the east entrance road to the RV campground.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

Oh, I did not include West Yellowstone and the Grizzly and Wolf Center. I personally don't think you have time for that. Here is the picnic area link. https:/…picnic.htm

Mentioned in this post
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

I believe I read that the jr Ranger packets are at the Old Faithful visitor center? If that's the case, I think we'll do Old Faithful first so the kids have something to work on along with the young scientist program.

We are driving from, hopefully, Brigham City, Utah the morning of the 17th. Its the planned overnight stop on our road trip from Las Vegas. google maps had the drive at nearly 6 hours but that's without towing a trailer. I expect it to actually take about 8 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
3,948 Reviews
Utah
Utah
United States
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,802 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

I have not driven that way, others can help more. The Jr Ranger packets are available at visitor centers, not just OF, so depending on your timing, Fishing Bridge may be open? https:/…index.htm

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,282 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary

Since you are coming in the West entrance you could also consider stopping at the Madison Junction Rest Area. There is a Jr Ranger station there with activities as well as the Jr Ranger workbooks.

I don't haul a trailer or drive an RV but full size buses stop at this rest area so should be OK for your rig.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Reply to: Yellowstone Fishing Bridge RV park and three day itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted