We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
711 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

Hey guys ..we had our first trip last sept...we got snowed in there the third week of sept remember lol. We still had a great time and loved the elk rutting and fall colors. However this time we are considering coming the last week in august and first few days of sept...mainly because we really want to go boating on yellowstone lake. I see its first come first served on the boat rentals...are the odds good that we could get one if we camp in that area for a couple days? Has anyone ever rented a boat? Is it a good time? Do you think weather will be warm enough at that time? Will everything be packed with tourists since it will be over a holiday weekend or are most people gone and headed back to school in sept? I think it would be fun to experience the park in warmer weather and more summery season however we really enjoyed our fall colors last time and the elk rutting. Our main goals are wild life watching. When do the elk start coming down and rutting? ALso when do the bears hang at fishing bridge? is that spring? What are your opinions-should we try something new and come a few weeks earlier or stick with when we went last year and hope for no snow this time..... Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

We didn't do our own, we did a private boat tour the end of August 2016. We went early morning for calmer waters. We had hoodies and coats, hats and gloves. There were boaters going out, but were told the water the past few days had been much rougher, making it tough to go far in the small boats.

The park will still be busy, not really because of a weekend rush- no big cities nearby to make a difference. Just still busy season. The main difference it seems for before and after Labor Day is the type of people. Rooms are still booked full, but with what they call "newly-weds and nearly-deads" instead of families, lol

All bets are off with Fishing Bridge and bears- there will be construction in that area the next two years. No way to know how that will impact wildlife sightings.

As for elk rutting, we saw very few elk at Mammoth, and I heard one bugle in the lake area, so just guessing that is just the start of the rut?

If you want the boat, you have to come earlier. Never a guarantee on the weather, you could come early and have it snow!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
711 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

really? still hoodies and gloves the end of august? ugh. So when is it normal hot boating weather? If its gonna be cold the end of august and not a fun boating experience then perhaps i should just forget it and come mid sept and enjoy the rut and fall colors...?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

We went first trip in the morning. It was cold. It can be cold in the morning all year. The water in the lake is always deadly cold.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
711 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

Is there just the one yellowstone company that rents boats on the lake? Its too bad they stop the first of sept. We would really like to see the elk rut AND be able to go out on the lake in a boat. Sounds like mid sept is better for elk rutting?

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

Yes, just boat rentals through Xanterra. I have never been in mid-Septemeber, have to be back for harvest!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
711 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...

i wonder if elk would be rutting and any colors would be changing the first week of sept or it thats just a smidge too early...

Reply to: Coming back for 2nd time-questions on time of year &amp...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted