We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about getting around while in Oahu..

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about getting around while in Oahu..

I will be staying in Oahu from Dec 8th to Dec 15th. Whats the best way to get around. I hear taxis are expensive. How much are buses? I do want to travel around the island a few of those days. Should I rent a car?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

Go to any ABC store and buy a multi day pass for "The Bus". That is the best way to get around besdies walking. I am not sure what the current price is but it is far cheaper than taxis.

Parking is expensive so yes if you plan on just a day or two trip around the island just rent a car for what you will need.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
971 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

I'd rent a car and I'm sure others will agree with me. We've been to Oahu later in December and couldn't rent a car because they were all reserved already. Perhaps someone can chime in as to how busy it will be during your visit.

Bus fare is $2.50 per ride and exact change is required. You can also buy passes at the ABC stores. If you watch the time carefully, you might be able to ride back on your transfer.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 04:21
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

Should I rent the car for the entire week? Hotel parking is $35 a day :(

Will I have to pay to park at places like the mall?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

Where are you staying? There are alternatives for less expensive parking.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28932-c146689/Hawaii…

You can see the island much better with a car.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

Order the free Oahu planner:

1-800-GOHAWAII

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

If I rent for the whole week, I'm looking at $339 total for car rental + hotel parking. I'm staying at Outrigger Reef on the Beach. So I can park at other hotels? Halekulani is close to my hotel ant its $22 a day.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 04:41
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,180 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

There are no other hotels in the vicinity of Outrigger Reef where you can park for less.

However, you can park at the location mentioned in this thread for $15/day. About 2 blocks or so from the Reef.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k576881…

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

we rent a car for a portion of our trip, usually at the beginning. Way better to see what the island has to offer. We stay in a condo so it makes it easier to get groceries as well. Especially since groceries are less $$ the farther away from Waikiki you get.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

Try this link for car rentals. Many on the Hawaii forums like them:

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/index.shtml

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

For a first-timer to Oahu, a rental car is actually a sound financial decision because it lets you get more out of every expensive hour you're there. (Take the cost of your plane ticket, add it to the cost of the hotel and incidentals, divide it by the hours you're awake there, and suddenly the prospect of spending hours trying to get get around the island by bus looks downright pricey compared to renting a car.)

The hard part is that, for most first-time visitors, the car could just sit in that expensive parking place unmoved for a day or two or three while you enjoy Waikiki. But having the option of driving elsewhere is vaulable even if you don't exercise it.

People on second, third, etc. trip and people who really can't abide the parking+car costs often just rent a car a couple mornings from a Waikiki rental co office and return it at night, not paying for parking. This can be a cost-effective alternative, but not necessarily. You have to crunch the numbers (taxis from airport, increased rental car rates in Waikiki, etc.) to make sure it works out.

Bottom line, though: a car and the outrageous parking costs really are worth it in the end if you can afford it.

California
Level Contributor
612 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about getting around while in Oahu..

We always rent a car for the entire time we're on Oahu. The windward side of Oahu is so magnificent, we spend quite a bit of time there. More than likely you'll want to venture up to the north shore during your stay because the waves could be pretty big in December.

I checked Kayak and they offer an intermediate car for $157 per week during. I don't know whether there are lower priced rentals however.

Unfortunately it can be very expensive to park. Though we do try to watch our spending, I personally feel the car expense (rental and parking) is as important as any other part of the budget. It's just part of the cost of our Hawaii vacation.

The link Dusty gave you for a $15 per day is about the best price available.

No you won't have to pay to park at the mall.