We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

I got a great deal on a room at HHV. However, we are to go on a 2 hour walking tour. We do NOT want to buy, have 2 small kids.

Has anyone done the tour? We have always avoided presentations. I SO want to stay at the hotel, but may cancel this great deal as it might be too good to be true? It's about half the rate plus a car. I just want to go on a great vacation back to Oahu, fell in love with it and can't wait to go back, keep reading about this hotel and thought it would be great with kids.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

We did the tour in July of '08 for two reasons. I wanted to see how nice the new tower was (very nice), and they were giving me 25,000 Hilton Honors points for my time. They told us it was a 90 minute presentation: it was 3 hours. The first half was interesting and included some history on the HHV.

There was a fair amount of waiting the morning we took the tour. After the informational portion, the salesman spent a fair amount of time trying to sell us the timeshare. After shooting him down they bring in another guy that is some sort of manager. He spends some additional time trying to sell.

It's classic saleman stuff. They find out your interests and use that to make their case. My advice: Look disinterested, don't ask questions and make it clear up front that you're not buying anything.

Hope that helps.

jp

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

There are some very specific and restrictive laws in Hawaii regarding timeshare presentations. I do not have them to paste at the moment but the gist is if I remember correctly, if they say it is 90 minutes you are not required to stay longer to get your gift. I beleive they have to provide you with a schedule/timetable. There are other parts that make it easier for you to just go, say no and collect whatever the offer is.

If the car is for the entire stay you will need to factor in some pretty pricey parking fees into your budget.

You might want to check to be sure you can even take your kids on the tour, it might not be allowed.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

We did the timeshare pitch (2 hrs) at the Kings Land Hilton on the Big Island for $999 - during Christmas - we had already purchased our airfare back in May 2010, so when they called in July 2010, it was a great deal!

1 - 6n/7d Big Island at the Kings Land Hilton Grand Vacations (2-bedroom,2-bath condo very nice).

2 - 7 day car rental (mid-size) - value = $300

3 - $200 voucher for a future stay at ANY Hilton Property

4 - 2 adult tickets to the Hilton Waikoloa Luau - value $200

5 - use of ALL ammentities at the Hilton Waikoloa Resort (next door).

6 - $100 resort credit.

Scheduled for a Sunday at 12:00pm. We told the salesperson upfront we were not interested and would not be buying. You are obligated to sit through the pitch because that is the terms of the contract when you sign up or you are subject to pay the full amount of what the vacation is worth. The pitch lasted exactly 2 hrs. We thanked them, and left. NO SALE!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,610 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

I remember this topic from the recent past and found it. Here is amberloo's response to the timeshare presentation question:

"5. Re: Any tips? I have to attend a Time Share presentation!!

Mar 24, 2011, 6:12 PM

Read this State of Hawaii brochure detailing your rights.

hawaii.gov/dcca.html/…time-share-brochure.pdf

I would even print it out and show the salesman you were carrying it into the presentation, along with having the State agency complaint number pre-dialed into your phone.

Insist they adhere to item #2 by providing you a detailed summary of what exactly is going on. If they won't provide it, according to law, you have no further obligations. And sInce you have already recieved your "gift" (the great room deal), you don't need to stay one second beyond the official presentation.

Remember the presentation ends before the sales pitch begins. When they push you to the sales person, just say "Thank you, but no. We have completed our presentation as required according to THIS brochure. Good Bye."

Anything they do after that to get you to stay becomes "illegal", just push the call button on your cell phone and make sure to write down their exact names to be reported to the State for breaking the timeshare law.

The folks in the State Timeshare department do take complaints very seriously, and think they are scum-suckers like we all do. The salesrooms know it, too.

You show you are prepared and tell them you are not interested, they will be happy to give y ou a pass. They don't want to waste their time either.

Remember, for all golks going, according to state law:

"You also have the right to receive any promotional device promised prior to the sales presentation."

Grab whatever they offering you up-front, DEMAND IT damn it, and then you can bail when you have completed your 90 minutes of banality."

Bothell, Washington
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

Thank you, this deal is very similar to Susie's post. It's 6 nights (can get up to 4 extra), 7 days car, $200 voucher. This is all up front with the stipulation of a 2 hour walking tour. I still think I can back out of this, not sure what I'd be out. I guess my big question is it available the dates I want to go.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

How do you sign up for one of these timeshare presentations? Do you have to find vendors during your trip, or is there a website where you can book it ahead of time?

Thanks!

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
914 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

From my understanding, the company that called us is a third party who represents Hilton Grand Vacations. My DH is a Hilton Diamond member, and the deal was specific for Diamond members only - not quite sure I believe that, but I could be wrong.

Seamom - I know they required a deposit - I think it was around $300+, and you had up to 1 year to use it. If you did not use it within a year of the initial booking, they refunded all but $79 (processing fee). They had a list of properties other than Hawaii that we could travel to for the timeshare pitch. However, for me, it was Hawaii or nothing :o)

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
143 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

crazy4,

Once you get to the HHV you can't miss them. They had a kiosk right by the beach, and an office right behind the front desk. This was 3 summers ago. Things may have changed.

jp

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

Hi there,

Simply put.

If you have no interest then show no interest.

Don't confuse the issue by accepting junky freebees.

The choice is yours..There must be more genuine deals around

than some of this coercement upon holiday makers....NWF..

Santa Clara, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village timeshare presentation...opinion

How did you get this offer ? I am looking for something right now to travel in September and I don't mind doing the presentation.