We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
435 posts
105 reviews
Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

I read recently that P.K is about to under go a massive renovation (early 2011) Currently the rates suggest it also. And Beachcomber is going to be branded an Holiday Inn. So which one do we go with ? The rates are comparable and Im happy with amenities and location of both ? Please any advice ?

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,617 posts
435 reviews
1. Re: Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

The PK has a nice pool, has nice dining, nightly entertainment and I like its location better.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

How about the Outrigger Reef? Sheraton Waikiki?

Really, keep this thread alive until you hear from Amberloo.

Edited: 16 August 2010, 09:51
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,886 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

Princess Kaiulani street level is way too busy and noisy. We walk by it almost nightly, or actually cross the street to avoid it. All kinds of vendor's, and street people crowd the entrance to the hotel and pool. I can't imagine any quiet from their balconies facing the pool area.

The Beachcomber is an escalator ride up from the street. They just finished a big remodel, so that the Holiday Inn takes over should not be a bad thing. They both are on either side of the IMP. I'd go with the newer rooms.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
435 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

BLBL,

Hope to hear from Amberloo, The Sheraton is my first choice we are SPG members, however its a family holiday and not everyone has our budget and these 2 are within our family group budget. Read about the possible reno at PK as early as Jan 2011 and we are coming April. Couldnt think of anything worse , hence the Ohana Beachcomber. Looking for central location as Nana is with us, O/R Reef is too far from the action for her.

Thanks to all.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,294 posts
5. Re: Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

I think it is a tossup.

Beachcomber has recently been renovated. It is still fairly noisy.

PK is closer to the beach. Older rooms but quieter.

But I also think amberloo's advice on any Waikiki hotel is better than anyone else's.

wdl
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
234 posts
190 reviews
6. Re: Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

Can't say much about the Beachcomber, but maybe I can help you with PK.

I am really glad PK is going through a renovation, it badly needs it. We've stayed last year about this time of the year. The location is good, sometimes "too good." The corner where the hotel is located is particularly busy. It is located right beside the International Market, which often runs late night entertainment (towers facing it tends to suffer more with noise). The rooms facing the pool area are actually not too bad because most of the noise comes from the hotel own poolside entertainment, which ends by 9m - after that, the street noise level is quite bearable. As someone noted, there are all kinds of vendor and street entertainers right in front of PK. Oh, and if that bothers you, that corner was a favorite location for "night workers" but you may not even notice them unless you stay put observing - or you are an unaccompanied male. Don't get me wrong - the street has tons of people moving around, family with kids, couples etc, so is no red district, but I thought I should share it, as it is rarely mentioned in this forums.

The rooms are actually clean, of good size, and the beds are comfortable. I actually had the opportunity to peak at other rooms equivalent to ours (we needed to be moved a little farther from the pool entertainment noise so the front desk gave us key to other two rooms). I should say all of them needed renovation, some more than others. New carpets and furniture are definitely welcome. One of the rooms (our original one) had some cracks on the door that suggests it has been forced. Our final room had a pocket door for the bathroom that was not closing properly.

Other than that, the hotel itself is quite nice. Staff is very friendly and eager to help (as I said, I was given keys to peak at two rooms to decide whether I would like to move, also she didn't even try to have us upgrade to the more expensive tower rooms, mentioning the noise from the International Market.

All in all, I would say that none of the issues were deal breakers, especially with the rates they were offering (oh, if you will use some AAA discount, bring the card, they check). Just know the pros and cons.

7. Re: Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber/Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 18:16