We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

Hi can anyone please advise which of these two is best suited for : restaurants within walking distance, International Marketplace

& easy access in & out by car. One condo is on 13th floor 4 Paddle other is 20th floor Waikiki Lanais. We are not into water sports so beach is not a priorty. We luved The Cheesecake Factory in Washington DC & note there is one in Honolulu so could we walk to it from either unit as long as no further than around 10mins.

Thanks 4 any replies

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,290 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,329 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

You can easily walk to International Market Place in less than 10 minutes from either.

Four Paddle is about 5 blocks from International Market Place, about 3-4 blocks from Waikiki Beachwalk, about 4 blocks from Royal Hawaiian Center. It's fairly close to Ft. DeRussy.

hicondos.com/neighborhoods-CondosHawaiiRealE…

Waikiki Lanais is at 2452 Tusitala St., which maps out a couple blocks behind Pacific Monarch on this map. Will be a little closer to International Market Place, about the same to Royal Hawaiian Center & farther to Waikiki Beachwalk. It is almost straight out from Duke's statue on Kuhio Beach.

I don't know what the condos are like as far as parking or easy in & out.

hicondos.com/neighborhoods-CondosHawaiiRealE…

There are restaurants & shops located throughout Waikiki. So take your pick.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 11:41
Mentioned in this post
International Market Place
International Market...
366 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Royal Hawaiian Center
Royal Hawaiian Center
606 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
483 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,447 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

Good Lord do I despise the Cheesecake Factory..... you come all the way from down under and trust me, there are so many other local restaurants so much more deserving of business than the corporatized CF.

Also not a fan of the International Marketplace anymore, other than their food court. The charm of 50 years ago is long gone. All the stores have a depressing sameness.

The Waikiki Lanais will be closer, but not that much closer that it is better than Four Paddles.

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,290 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,329 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

"Good Lord do I despise the Cheesecake Factory....."

I would never stand in any line for any restaurant or lounge or bar.

But Cheesecake Factory is decent & for someone from Australia it's decent, especially if they liked a previous one in the U.S.

If I was from a city in the U.S., that had a Cheesecake Factory, no way would I go to one in Hawaii.

I agree with scott. There is not much appeal to International Market Place any more. Don't let IMP sway your decision.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 16:38
Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,290 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
International Market Place
International Market...
366 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

Some posters are such a snobs...

The incredible success of the Cheesecake Factory did not arise in a void.

The Grand Luxe Cafe (a CF product) in the Venetian, Vegas generates more revenue than any restaurant in the US

The CF menu is diverse, the food is tasty and plentiful, and it provides a fun dining experience with something for everyone. It's exciting and loud and colorful. It's food is better than 90% of the joints in Waikiki, and it is one of the few restaurants in the district that locals will actually drive down there to patronize.

Geez, you can't eat at Orchids and Hau Tree Lanai every night.. I suppose we should avoid the Yard House and Roy's because they are crowded chains.

I say have at it Peggy, and I hope have a good time.

In regards to the Waikiki Lanais project, it is a little tricky to drive into and out of for the uninitiated. It is in one of the areas of Waikiki where you have to deal with little one block long, one-way back roads.

Also, while everywhere in Waikiki is safe 24/7, it is in a mixed neighborhood containing some of Waikiki's last bungalows, a couple of vacant lots and old walk-up apartments. I think some people would feel uneasy walking around the area, especially at night.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 17:28
Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,290 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Orchids
Orchids
1,340 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hau Tree Lanai
Hau Tree Lanai
1,201 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Yard House
Yard House
2,917 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,447 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

>>>Some posters are such a snobs...

The incredible success of the Cheesecake Factory did not arise in a void.<<<

It has nothing to do with being a snob, I'd rather eat at the Wailana Coffee House, the fast food court at the Royal Hawaiian Center or Duke's Barefoot Bar than the Cheesecake Factory. Being successful doesn't make it a great restaurant, look at the success of Olive Garden, Red Lobster, McDonalds, et al.

You can wait for up to an hour or more to get gobs of pretty average food. Not better than 90% of the restaurants in Waikiki, it is firmly in the middle of the pack.

I understand locals liking the Cheesecake Factory because it is something different, but that also doesn't make it great or a place that is a "have to" restaurant in Honolulu.

And last I saw, Tao Las Vegas was the country's highest grossing restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,290 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Wailana Coffee House
Wailana Coffee House
1,873 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Royal Hawaiian Center
Royal Hawaiian Center
606 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Barefoot Bar
The Barefoot Bar
212 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Red Lobster
Red Lobster
920 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

Scotty....

Tao generates a substantial amount of its revenue through its highly successful night club activities. Not restaurant sales. Probably in the mid-$20 M for its food services.

The estimated Grand Luxe Venetian revenues were $39 M in 2009 (just under $2,000 per square foot of floor space) and were up 2.6% in the first half of this year.

And, wonderful of you to trot out the old and tired "McDonald" defense. Not comparable as they, like Starbucks, Burger King and Olive Garden are ubiquitous world wide. There are still relatively few Cheescake Factories/Grand Luxe Cafes....like 165.

And they are certainly better than the three subways, three McDonalds, bland hotel coffee shops, the fast food courts, and a hundred other joints in the the District.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

We agree, we "never" eat/drink at the big box chain places. Always eat/drink at local owned places.

8. Re: Four Paddle or Waikiki Lanais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 17:18