We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

Canton, MI
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

I'm coming to Hawaii for about a short 4 day trip this Labor Day weekend. Thru discounthawaiicarrental.com, I can get a mid-size car rental either thru Thrifty or Budget for $26/day. Since Budget is on-airport, airport fees cost $12-17 more than Thrifty. If my priority is to pick up my car quicker though, should I go with Budget? Can I just walk to Budget vs. shuttle to Thrifty. Also is there any chance of saving more $ by going bidding lower than these rental prices on priceline.com or hotwire.com? Thx.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

The shuttles come almost non-stop, I have never had to wait more than a minute or two. On-site or off is a non-issue IMO as the off site places are so near and are on the way towards Waikiki anyway. As to the second part of your question, yes you are paying to much, you should be getting it down at least 5 or 6 more bucks even for a holiday weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

Just did a quick Hotwire search, $19.00

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

The shuttles come almost non-stop, I have never had to wait more than a minute or two. On-site or off is a non-issue IMO as the off site places are so near and are on the way towards Waikiki anyway. As to the second part of your question, yes you are paying to much, you should be getting it down at least 5 or 6 more bucks even for a holiday weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

If you are a Costco member check the prices on costcotravel.com. I got better prices through them than I can get on Hotwire.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

I think that you are calculating "speed" oddly. The real thing that slows you down is how many people are in line. That, amigo, we cannot foretell!

Canton, MI
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

Based on feedback received, it seems I should just pick the cheapest choice...waiting in line taking longer than frequent off-airport shuttles? Therefore, I should register for membership with selected car rental agency to possibly avoid line & go straight to car? Also, sounds like I should try a bid of ~$19/day on priceline or hotwire to save a bit more? Is it still possible for frequent flyer miles with priceline or hotwire? Please confim & thx again for all your help.

California
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

Yes!.....definitely register for any and all memberships with the rental car agencies!! That way, in most cases, you avoid the long lines.

California
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

We found the lowest prices through Hotwire, and we got Alamo, which is also just off the airport property.

The only problem we had was returning the car. There were no directions to tell us where to go, and following the "car rental" return signs won't help you.

So if you go with an off-site location, be sure to get good directions on where to return the car.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

for us, we were in hnl for 2 weeks early july and we got our economy car for 2 weeks with priceline for $246 taxes already included. we did find this price very attractive but we did have to book at least 8 months before arrival date.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheaper car rental vs. faster car rental @ HNL

Have you check www.hawaiidrive-o.com?