We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a shortage of rental cars?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SanClemente, CA
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is there a shortage of rental cars?

I'm arriving in mid August and have yet to rent a car.....although....we definitely plan on doing so. But, I keep reading.........."If you're going to rent a car........DO IT NOW". Our plans are to reserve one (in advance) to pick up at the airport when we arrive. Is there a shortage of cars or what?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

The rental car fleets have shrunk in recent years, but for the most part travelers to Honolulu won't notice a difference. The most pronounced shortages are on Kauai and the Big Island, where most of those warnings are posted.

However, you are coming at the peak of the visitor year during what appears to be a strong summer season, so you can expect rates to climb almost daily as the available car reservations are snapped up.

Most rental car agencies in Hawaii do not require any prepayment and you can cancel at any time so there is no reason not to make one right away; even on a provisional plan basis.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

First rule of Hawaiian Vacations: BOOK THE RENTAL CAR as soon as you have your dates.

This is especially true for the other islands. During busy times, there are car shortages. Book the best deal you can, then keep an eye on the prices. You can always rebook at the lower price, if applicable.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

Try to find a rate you can live with and then keep checking to see if you can find a deal somewhere that's what I have done for our trip in march.

Check out these two sites

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

www.hawaiidrive-o.com

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
41,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

I have been to Honolulu more than once when HNL was out of cars. Unbeknowst to you ... a large conference or sporting event could be in town ... and they suck up the cars pretty quickly.

And summer is HIGH season, so you have lots of competition. Don't wait until you are desperate and the cost is sky-high. Plus -- it's nice to be able to chose the car you want - yes?

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

I just reserved a minivan through www.discounthawaiicarrental.com and got a great rate, about 40% less than what the agencies were quoting online and $50 less than a "blind" rental through hotwire. Thanks to UNCMOM and whoever else mentioned them!

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

I wouldn't worry because it's Oahu but I wouldn't wait either. I would book the car now.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

Yes, reserve now. And keep checking. I originally booked with budget for $201 for 7 1/2 days. Then I would check periodically and the rate went down. then i checked with Dollar and reserved with them for $170/week. All fees included. What a deal! I was very happy with it; very easy to pick up and drop off. The shuttles run often too.

SanClemente, CA
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

Has anybody tried to rent a car just for two or three specific days (days that you've planned some sort of road trip) rather than renting for the entire week and having to pay for 8 days, hotel parking, etc. ?

Also, with a 4 and 6 year old, what have you done about "booster" seats? I certainly don't want to have to travel with them.

Edited: 25 June 2010, 01:23
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

You can get cars in waikiki, but the waikiki ones sell out almost everday so you really need the reservation. They are a little more than the airport but why pay all that parking if it will just sit ther. If you poke around the web site you can find locations other than the airport/

The other thing is the small cares go first, so maybe they can get you a car but it will be the town car as $129 a day. If you reserve a small car and they are out they upgrade you at the same price, so you have to get reservations

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
41,437 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a shortage of rental cars?

You should check the car rental websites for booster seat/car seat information. Also -- what laws may pertain. There are lots of posts about this, so you may wish to do a search.

About the car -- I think that two questions come first: do you think that it is important to have a car available when traveling with kids. To be able to pick up and go/leave at will ... to be able to haul "stuff," etc. Second question: the math: what will the car cost ... plus parking at the hotel - vs - what will a cab from the airport cost, plus renting on Waikiki for a few days, plus taxis and buses, and possibly tour transportation. You may find that the car is cheaper.

Yes, you can rent on Waikiki and usually from your hotel as well. Reservations are a must.

Aren't you the person with the last minute trip who was looking for a good deal? Check back with your package (or whatever) and see what it costs to add a car.