We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Topic
Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

I will not have a car. What is the easiest way to get to Hanauma Bay from Waikiki. Taxi or bus? Keep in mind I have never ridden a public bus and I have some fear that I'll get on the wrong one and get lost along the way (i'll be traveling alone). How much would a taxi be and is it easy to find a taxi for the ride back to Waikiki?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,557 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

The Bus is your friend, embrace it....

Seriously, you CAN'T get lost going from Waikiki to Hanauma Bay. Just get on the route 22 bus on Kuhio Avenue as it goes towards Diamond Head from a bus stop on the ocean ("makai") side of the street.

Let us know where you are staying and we can describe the exact location of the nearest stop.

Stay on until the announcement for Hanauma Bay. It takes about 40 minutes. On the way back, cross the street from the Bay entrance to the bus stop and get on #22 going back (it is the ONLY route out there so you can't go wrong).

See the time table at:

www.thebus.org/Route/Timetables/Rt22.pdf

It is totally safe, and only maybe ten minutes longer than it would take by car/taxi. They are clean, air conditioned, and typically have very friendly and helpful drivers. You will not be alone, there will be lots of tourists on the ride with you from Waikiki to the exact same destination.

Plus it is only $2 each way. A taxi will cost you about $30 to $40 each way, and while there are often some available on-line at the Bay during the middle to end of the day, there may not be any.

The Bus is great!! You can get all around the city, and it is tough to get lost as it is really just one long narrow strip between the ocean and the mountains, and there are always plenty of points of reference visible.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

Bus bus bus!!! It's soooooooo easy!! I think it's either number 20 or 22 (check www.thebus.org) - get on anywhere along Kuhio Avenue - announcements for each stop, or an electronic sign in the bus telling you what each stop is. Also, it's impossible to miss the stop for Hanauma Bay as the bus actually pulls into the park at the top of the bay. Takes a little while as there are a lot of stops on the way, but think of all the things you can buy with the money you didn't waste on taxis!!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

ooops soz - was writing message at the same time as amberloo!! got distracted by the telly so took longer!!!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,149 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

Please don't be nervous about getting lost. My 16 yr old son was bored at Hanauma Bay ( don't ask, ,hes is just a miserable twit right now, LOL ) and so we gave him a few bucks and told him to go back to Waikiki. We didn't even walk him up to bus stop. He made it fine. The bus system is easy to cope with.

Take the bus, or if you want you can grab a ride in the vans that often pull up to bus stops and offer 5 dollar rides to Bay. I wouldn't get in a van alone, but usaully groups at bus stop jump in so go for it.

We usaully take a bus one way and a shuttle back.. just depends.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,149 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

Just so you know, you can bargain with van drivers, usaully easiest going to Bay . We had 7 of us and paid total of 25 for one way to Bay .

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

The bus system on Oahu and especially Waikiki/Honolulu is one of the best and well run transit systems I have ever had the pleasure to ride on. We have managed to limit our rental car to a day or two, depending on the Bus for everything else.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

I never caught on to the bus while I was in Oahu. The waiting, long lines, full buses. If you already have reservations about it, then just avoid it.

There are lots of other options. We purchaed a transportation pkg with gear that picked up at the hotel and dropped you off at the bay and you could pick between 2 or 3 pick-up times to come back. It was easy and enjoyable. I think it was about $25 but it included snorkel gear and I'm not sure how much that is to rent out there.

NE Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

We thought TheBus was very convenient. Many tourists use it and if you have the bus schedule it will be easy to time it so you don't spend unnecessary time waiting at a bus stop.

Going to Hanauma Bay by bus was easy, breezy but the return bus was PACKED. So be prepared for standing room only. But if you're not planning to be at the beach until the last bus runs, or you don't mind standing for the ride back, $4 round trip is a bargain.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,111 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

DH always took The Bus and LOVED it! Ask your hotel concierge for a map or go on-line.

New York City
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki to Hanauma Bay

How much time did you spend at Hanauma Bay? Is snorkeling equipment really necessary or can you just enjoy the water?

Any decent bathroom/changing facilities at Hanauma Bay?