We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect Bites

Perth, Scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Insect Bites

Hi

Traveling to Calafornia /Honolulu for fourteen days in Sept will there be any insects mosquitos etc, (when we travel to Caribbean at this time were bitten alive) will we need repelent

Cheers Alan

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect Bites

Yes, but buy it here so you don't have to lug it around before you arrive. ABC Stores, Long's, WalMart or other discount stores have it.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
711 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect Bites

Hi Alan,

They can breed all year round so better just go to Longs Drugs and buy some "OFF" mosquito repellant.

I doubt you'll need it, but it's relatively cheap and your peace-of-mind will also be served if you should just have a spray can at the ready.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect Bites

In seven trips to Hawaii in the last eight years, I have only seen mosquitoes in two places 1) the Honolulu Zoo (understandably) and 2) the oh-so-posh Princeville Resort on Kauai. We literally went shopping for mosquito netting for our bed. The hotel did NOTHING.

Anyway -- I haven't seen a big problem. Now about what to buy -- we use the individual packets of moisted towelettes that OFF and maybe CUTTER make. Easy to pack and you don't have to take a bath in the stuff.

Fear not -- it's not like the Caribbean. Good question, though. You're using your noodle. FYI - leave the woolens behind. If you need ideas on where to buy lightweight cottons in Honolulu -- make another post and we'll help you out.

Perth, Scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect Bites

Thanks guys

Very helpfull i also looked at some off your other posts and we are all now very exited and very much looking forwards to our vacation

BLBL ill leave my woolen kilt behind and just bring the lightweight one

Thanks ALAN

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insect Bites

We were there in June and only had a problem at Waimea Falls Park. I would say that was because of the thick foliage and the water falls. We stayed at the North Shore and actually did not have a mosquito problem but flies could get bad and we liked to leave the doors wide open for those great breezes! I found Walmart prices to be close to those on the mainland if you need bug spray. I took a can but only used it once at the falls. I know what you mean about some places. We just got back from Barbados July 20th and the mosquitos almost carried us away.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
968 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insect Bites

I noticed that the blood suckers were not too bad in Hawaii (oahu at least).

You will need it in CA for sure though?

There are no mosquitos in Scotland???

jk8a

Perth, Scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Insect Bites

Hi

You asked about mosquitos in Scotland we have none its not hot enough, what we have are the dreaded midges. They are small flies one tenth off the size off a mosquito but ten times as many teeth and there are thousands that all attack and bite at once leaving you with spots and a rash, and in this day and age they still dont have a repelant,they are mainly found in the Highlands near water and or trees, but dont let them put you off come vist us its a great place (Gods Country)

Cant wait for our vacation to come arround four off us arrive sept and are really geting exited we land LA and have four days them Hawaii 7 daysand return via SF for four days

Cheers Alan

Ps iknow mosquito sting and dont bite

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insect Bites

That's OK, Alan - we call them mosquito bites, anyway.

California has an intensive program of mosquito control because of mosquito-bourne diseases. You shouldn't have a major problem in the LA area -- but take the little repellant wipes just in case.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
331 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insect Bites

I will be going to Oahu in mid September and I already knew I would need bug repellent. Mosquitos tend to be active around dawn and dusk. Try to stay away around that time. Generally, any bug repellent that contains DEET will do. A more natural alternative is citronella spray. The smell of citronella will mask the body odor. Wearing long sleeves and light colors help too. Good luck and have fun!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
94 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insect Bites

AlanScotland - What part of California will you be in? I think it depends where and what you'll be doing if you want to avoid/deter mosquitos.

For example, areas with more shrubs, water, or the more rural mountain or forest areas would have a higher number. The city areas in So Cal aren't too bad which is good for me because I am unfortunately a mosquito magnet! You're also more likely to encounter mossies in the early morning, dusk, or evening or when there's less wind.

We were not bothered by mosquitos during April in Oahu or Kauai, but did bring repellent wipes just in case.

As others mentioned, it's a good idea to bring or pick up some repellent just in case and the individual packet wipes are easy to use. Have a good trip!