We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

Blue Mountains
Level Contributor
13 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

My husband and I will be in Honolulu in June/July for 10 days, split between Waikiki and Kailua. We're reluctant to hire a car as we've never driven on the other side of the road so we thought to use The Bus for our travel. 1) How feasible is it to make a couple of stops on the North Shore route on the same day leaving from Honolulu? 2) If we take suitcases on a bus to Kailua from Honolulu (not airport) is that OK? 3) From Kailua, it seems we would have to change buses to catch the one that goes along the East Coast; can anyone provide details? Thanks in anticipation

6 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
26,444 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

Here are the restrictions for luggage on the bus

http://www.thebus.org/howtoride/RulesReg.asp

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,535 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

No, you can't take luggage on TheBus no matter where it's going to or coming from. Small luggage that fits on your lap is fine. I wouldn't try to use TheBus for site seeing. Takes way too long. Do some kind of tour instead.

Did you know 90% of the vacation rentals in Kailua are illegal for the owners to rent out? Meaning they don't have the proper permits from the county to operate legally.

I never recommend staying in Kailua without a car unless the tiny town is the only place you want to go. It's easily walkable.

Blue Mountains
Level Contributor
13 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

Thanks placebets; I thought it may just be the airport route.

Blue Mountains
Level Contributor
13 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

Thanks fishdiva. We're doing airbnb but we may rethink the need for a car

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,535 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

Sorry to say but AirB&B is one of the largest companies that advertise illegal units. They don't vet anything. They only advertise for the owners, they have no clue whether the unit is legal or not. Same goes for VRBO, Homeaway, Flipkety etc.

It's a big issue on Oahu and the whole state of Hawaii. The more illegal vacation rentals there are, the less long term rentals for residents. It also drives rents up and adds to the increasing homeless problem. Not to mention having transients in a neighborhood of people who actually want to get away from visitors when they go home. No one really wants to live in a neighborhood that has strangers next door every 3,7 or ten days!!

There is also a chance it could get shut down before you arrive. Just happened to a poster a couple of months ago. You don't want to find out the night before arrival that you have no place to stay.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus

And, the NO luggage on TheBus is a rule on every route. Riding TheBus on Oahu makes you realize just how many locals use this form of transportation every single day.

My DH and I went all over island via bus, and it is a long ride to places like Turtle Bay, PCC and Bellows. A car is the way to go.

Reply to: Travelling to North Shore and East Coast by The Bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted