We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

Hi, I was wondering what our chances are of getting walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in early August? We will get there around 8.30. It looks as though the first tour time you can book online is 11am. We were hoping for an earlier tour or will this be impossible arriving at 8.30 in August? There will be 3 of us.

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

Chances of getting walk up tickets in August after arriving at that time are slim. Chances of getting a tour time earlier than 11:00am are slimmer. If I were to go get walk up tickets in the summer months I would be at the Visitors Center no later than 7:00am, when it opens.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

Thanks for your reply. We are unable to get there at 7 so I think we'll just have to try for the 11am online tickets.

It's a shame they don't have earlier times available online

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

I kinda figured that. The National Park service used to have earlier times for on line reservation's but that changed in 2017. Not sure why.

I think you made a wise choice.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

I suspect they don't make the earlier tickets available online precisely so the people that show up at 0700 don't get stuck with tickets for several hours later. It makes sense to me, even if it's kind of a bummer at the same time for those that want to ensure they have tickets ahead of time.

If you were planning on getting there at 0830 anyway, you can always try to check and see if you can get an earlier time slot just in case. And in the meantime there's plenty of other things to do there besides visiting the USS Arizona you could fill the time with until your slot. There's a free museum on site that can take about an hour to go through (depending on how much time you spend visiting each part of it and reading the different exhibits)...a lot of people like to take pictures at the waterfront...and of course there's the USS Missouri, Bowfin, and Aviation Museum (though those have admission fees...but you don't have to reserve ahead of time!)

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

I guess I don’t understand why you don’t go for the reserved tickets. You certainly have the needed 60 days in advance to go online for your tickets.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

Ummm, I believe I have said I am going for the reserved tickets.

The reason I didn't want to was that I was hoping to get an earlier time than 11am

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

Sorry. There is so much to see prior to your assigned time that you should be able to fill the time if you can’t get an earlier slot.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

"I suspect they don't make the earlier tickets available online precisely so the people that show up at 0700 don't get stuck with tickets for several hours later. It makes sense to me, even if it's kind of a bummer at the same time for those that want to ensure they have tickets ahead of time."

That is the reason why NPS gave!

However, there are only 25 tickets out of 150 tickets available for each of the two month in advance tickets available for each of the 8am and 9am tours and an additional 25 tickets available for the same tours using the one day in advance option.

That is only 100 tickets per day! Why in the world would NPS do this? 100 tickets is a drop in the bucket compared to 1300 tickets available for walk up tickets per day.

Seems to me that one should be better off making advanced reservations instead of a much later tour time.

Horrible change in policy!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

We booked the 11am tickets on line but got there’ll Sunday at 7.30am to see if we could get earlier tickets. Got them for the 8am tour and just let them know at the ticket counter re our 11am tickets. They then just put our reserved tickets back in the ticket pool. If we couldn’t get earlier tickets there is plenty to look at while waiting for tour times.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August

I find myself wondering how many of the tickets are given to the tour operators and for what time slots.- I don't pretend to know, but am very curious!

Reply to: Walk up tickets to Arizona Memorial in August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted