We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Buffalo area

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Buffalo area

I've passed through Buffalo / Niagara many times on the way to Pittsburgh to visit family, but I have yet to check out any of the malls/ outlet centers or visit any of the attractions. so some friends and myself are planning on going across the border for a girls day out in Buffalo.

We were planning on going to Prime Outlets which a friend recommended, but Prime Outlets does not list Buffalo or even New York State as a place with one of there outlet centers. My friend is sure that's what it was called so im guessing it closed down or perhaps changed names? Whatever it's called, is it any good, and/or is The Walden Galleria a better place to go?

We really don't want to shop in a mall that has stores we also have in Canada. The Walden Galleria seems to be the best bet at the moment, but I would still like to know about that outlet center.

Other than the malls (and Niagara Falls) is there any other points of interests worth visiting in the Buffalo area (willing to go as far as Erie, PA)?

Buffalo
Level Contributor
563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Buffalo area

the outlets are still there, theyre just not under the prime outlet name anymore. theyre on military road in the town of niagara. its an ok place, a lot of nonlocals like it but i still dont see whats so great about it.

the galleria is so much more better. we get so much business from canadian shoppers in not even funny anymore. i guess we have a lot of stores that havent made it north of the border yet. and right now the mall is going through an expansion thats bringing in higher end retailers finally. the galleria would be a good place for a first visit here and is a good base for future trips.

theres so much to do in buffalo, it relaly depends what you like to do. theres museums, shopping districts, parks, history, excellent nightlife, etc. get back to us, were here everyday.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Buffalo area

As far as shopping, here's a useful site:

www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/shopping_1.html

On the Niagara Falls forum, the NFGuru provided the latest name for Prime Outlets: "The Outlets at Niagara".

I'd agree that Walden Galleria provides great shopping as well.

If you're into art, don't miss the Albright-Knox Art Gallery www.albrightknox.org

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Buffalo area

hozombel -

I just returned from just such a shopping trip this evening, and I recommend it.

First off, it's now called "The Outlets in Niagara Falls", although the big signs on the side of the road still say "Prime Outlets". It's in eastern Niagara Falls - if you take the Queenston-Lewiston bridge, take I-190, exit at Niagara Falls Blvd (US 62) turning left, then its another left about one mile later onto Military Road - the mall will be on the left.

I would highly recommend that you call the Niagara Bridge Commission enroute and check bridge traffic conditions - 1-800-715-6722 - this evening, the Rainbow Bridge had no delays, while the Queenston-Lewiston was heavily congested. On our way to the USA, we never bothered to call ahead, and ended up waiting 45 minutes to cross at Queenston!

Now, personally, I prefer The Outlets in Niagara Falls for my cross border expiditions. Walden Galleria is a very good mall - we didn't stop there this time, but I have several times in the past. It's just that the number of stores that are unique to Walden Galleria vs. Toronto just aren't that many any more. Sure, there's the department stores (and that may take on a new element when the Kauffman's at the Galleria gets converted to a Macy's this fall), but the other stores just aren't that unique anymore. 5, 10 or 15 years ago the Galleria would be a must stop for places like Old Navy, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie, American Eagle, Banana Republic, Payless, William Sonoma. Today, for mid-upscale shopping, I think you're better off at Yorkdale in Toronto.

And, while there's been a growth in outlet malls in Canada, their deals just don't match the Outlets at Niagara Falls (not to mention even better outlet havens such as Lake George, NY, North Conway, NH and Freeport, ME).

We also have other favourite stops on US shopping runs - a good grocery store for itsm not sold in Canada; one of many Buffalo-Niagara Target locations (including the one on Niagara Falls Blvd just around the corner from the outlet mall); and further afield, we love Land's End, and whenever we can make the extra trip to the Land's End "Inlet" in Rochester - it's just a one hour drive from the Walden Galleria.

Noel

poodleville TO
Level Contributor
674 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Buffalo area

Great summary by Noel . We like the Walden Galleria, though many of the stores we used to go for are now in Toronto. The department stores are all different and they can have some good bargains.

All my girlfriends just love Target. Its about the nicest lower end priced store that you will see. Always very clean and bright and good deals. You must go. No one can really explain the attraction that us Canadians have with Target. The outlets are ok sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not.

5. Re: Day trip to Buffalo area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 08:18