We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
46 reviews
Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

We are thinking of driving from Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA. We believe it's approximately 240 miles.... does anyone know what the roads are like... do you need to drive through any big towns, cities... it doesn't look like it from our map. We're from Australia and driving on the right will be 'exciting' enough without battling big towns, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

Can you be more specific as to what route your are taking? It will help to advise.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

Hi jmhallmark... I guess the shortest route, although maybe the most scenic?, we want to drive it in one day.... so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again. Cheers.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

Hi bandlh, the simplest route which I have taken (on the way to Philadpelphia) is the New York State Thruway, I-90 East to Syracuse NY and then interstate I-81 South. (fyi, I-90 is a toll road). From what I remember, I-81 is very scenic, esp. in Pennsylvania. Syracuse is a small city where you might want to stop for a meal. They have a scenic little downtown area, too.

-Dee

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

I might go a different way than Lady Dee. I would take I90 to I390 at Rochester, and head south, eventually connecting with US 15 just past Corning N.Y., and then follow US 15 south towards Harrisburg. Just a couple of small towns to slow you down, but part of that route follows the Susquehana river, and it's most scenic. Lancaster is just to the east of Harrisburg, and you'd probably want to visit Hershey (yes, the chocolate bar place) while you are in the area.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

Thanks Tutman and Lady_Dee for your advice. It's 6.49am here in Australia, so will go and make a cup of coffee, get out our map and have a look at both routes, (whichever way we go, I'm sure we'll make a detour into the Hersey place!!!). Thanks again. Cheers.

6. Re: Driving Buffalo, NY to Lancaster, PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:19