We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day and a half in buffalo

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
day and a half in buffalo

Hi all,

my husband and I plan to spend a short visit in Buffalo in May of this year. We will be staying in Niagara for 2 nights, and then crossing back into the US early Saturday morning. Our train for Chicago leaves Sunday night at midnight. That gives us almost a weekend to see/hear/taste the sights! We like walks - urban, and parklands - music, food, generally are quite easily pleased.We are mid 40s, and tho not on a very tight budget, it will be the end of a 2 week holiday, so funds may be a little low!! We will be relying on walking/public transport/cabs. I would be very grateful for any advice you could offer.......

1) Where to stay; downtown or a little further out? Which hotel?

2) I want to see City Hall - is it open weekends for tours- is there any other places nearby that I shouldn't miss?

3) I have a couple of walks planned - around Allentown and Elmwood - would it be better to do one rather than the other, or are both areas near enough to combine the walks?

4)Any ideas to fill in Sunday afternoon/evening especially, as we will check out of our room at mid-day, and hopefully store our luggage there, until we gat a cab to Depew station later that night.

Many thanks -in advance-for your help

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day and a half in buffalo

Hi angelared!

When will you be in town? The time of year makes a big difference for happenings/events, with summer being much more active.

1) Since you'll be here on the weekend, I would probably recommend the Elmwood Village Inn B&B, since downtown is rather desolate on the weekends often. The Inn is located in a lively neighborhood and would give you a more authentic Buffalo experience. It's also near Delaware Park and the Parkways (Lincoln, Bidwell, Chapin).

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d736967-…

2) Unfortunately, City Hall is closed on the weekend. You can see the massive exterior, which is impressive, too. It has been open one weekend in July during the "Taste of Buffalo" food festival in the past.

3) I think if you like walking a lot you can do both Elmwood and Allen.

4) Hmm, Sunday is a sleepy sort of day. That might be a good day for one of your walks!

--Dee

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
996 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day and a half in buffalo

The Campaign for Greater Buffalo History Architecture & Culture has great tours and they are done in an Open Air Bus - weather permitting. They also have great walking tours

For the latest information you can call 716-854-3749. The Ex Director is Tim Tielman, I do not have 2010 schedule as of date

http://greaterbuffalo.blogs.com

If you check out this website the information is at the bottom of the page. They also do alot of walking tours thoughout Buffalo, here is an exerpt

You'll get commentary from the experts in architecture and historic preservation, conveyed in a memorable way. There is really no better way to see the city, and they have hosted not only individuals, but businesses, block clubs, classes, alumni groups, and others who find it a great bonding experience.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day and a half in buffalo

Delaware Park is a great urban park, with many scenic neighborhoods and sights around it. It can easily be accessed from Downtown via the 20 Elmwood or 25 Delaware or 11 Colvin buses routes.

For architecture there is a good starting point map on the visitor's bureau website. visitbuffaloniagara.com/visitors/maps/ThemeM…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day and a half in buffalo

Hi there

thanks very much for your advice, it will certainly make planning a little easier for us. You've given me a couple of things to think about, but will probably be back with more specific questions!

5. Re: day and a half in buffalo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 14:16