We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
413 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

i posted on niagara forum too....HSBC is downtown buffalo, if we dont stay IN DOWNTOWN, what other towns are nearby to the arena and niagara? we have our car so getting around isnt an issue...seems niagara town has less exp hotels, lots with SO-SO reviews too. arent there other nice nearby towns that have hotels and places to eat and still be able to drive to hsbc and drive to niagara?

want a place under 100 bucs for sure, stayed at an embassy suites before and it was nice but the one here is too exp... stayed at a homewood suites in NC and it was 84 a nite, but walls in bdr werent to soundproof if you get my dfrift. nothing worse then being woken up by noisy people or kids partying in next room....

any ideas? i dont know the towns in and around the city, thats why i ask..

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
609 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

Many options...

I would recommend the Hampton Inn in Williamasville...nice village atmoshphere with plenty of shopping and dining options...10-15 minute easy drive into Buffalo for the game...You will love it...Try the Eagle House on Main for dinnner , lunch or just a cockatial...very cozy this time of year....

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
996 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

Here is a link to some hotels in the Williamsville/Amherst area. I would recommend the new Indigo Hotel. Most are located near the I-290 so you could just get on and be in Niagara Falls within 20 minutes or so. You would also be about 15 minutes or so from Downtown Buffalo.

There is plenty of shopping - on NIagara Falls Boulevard and restaurants.

www.boulevard-mall.com/info/tourism.cfm

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

The Hampton Inn in Williamsville would be my first choice, too, but it's not going to be under $100 a night. If you can stretch your budget, it would be worth the extra cost, both because of the great location and because breakfast is included in the price.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
413 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

thanks all of u for the info. where is williamsville/amherst if i was to look on the map? is it in between niagara and buffalo or what direction from them both? is it sort of in the middle so we can get to both places without driving a long drive? is this area on TA with reviews too?

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

Amherst/Williamsville is located east of Buffalo. It is conveniently located to the I-90 and I-290 expressways. You can take I-290 to I-190 North to get to Niagara Falls.

One motel which is inexpensive and with a convenient location (right next to I-290) is the Lord Amherst Motor Hotel on Main Street in Amherst. Here is the link to TA reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d122058-… The first review is very negative, but the previous reviews are quite positive. It sounds like maybe the bad review got a bad room, but you can always ask to switch if you don't like your room. Breakfast is included.

Main Street in Amherst has lots of restaurants and a pleasant atmosphere as previously mentioned (although there is a lot of traffic on Main St).

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

I found another hotel option if you would like to stay near downtown Buffalo: the Doubletree. Here is the link to TA reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60974-d99510-R…

It gets consistently good reviews, and it is within walking distance of the Anchor Bar, home of the famous Buffalo chicken wings (they invented them). When I checked for a price, it came up less than $70. The hotel is located near two hospitals and in a bad neighborhood just outside of downtown Buffalo.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
413 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

thanks lady dee

i dont know if i want to stay in a bad neighborhood,... whether its cheap or not or close or not, know what i mean? anyone can ck out hotels, but if u dont know the areas they are in, whats the point. even if im staying for 2-3 days thats why the reviews here and feedback help.

like i mentioned, we will have my teen son with us. so besides seeing the game and the falls on NY side, just wondering what else we could do ....

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

There's more to do in Bflo in the warm weather. However, right now there is free ice skating ($3 skate rentals) outdoors at the Rotary Rink on Main St in downtown Bflo: buffaloplace.com/rotary-rink-fountain-plaza

There is a great little indoor botanical garden (south of Bflo): tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60974-d26… It's nice in the winter because it's heated, and there's lots of greenery and it smells good.

Not sure if you're into churches, but just down the road from the botanical gardens in Our Lady of Victory Basilica, it's like a mini-St. Peter's (the Vatican): olv-bvs.org/ourladyofvictory/… and it's free to visit.

I always recommend a visit to the Buffalo City Hall observatory, but it's closed on the weekends. What weekend will you be here? Maybe we can find a special event that's happening at that time.

-Dee

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
996 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

Since you have a car and transportation is not an issue - by staying in the Amherst/Williamsville area you are in a safe environment. And you are pretty much in the middle between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Williamsville is a Village. Amherst is just the town that its in. Its pretty much all the same area.

The Eastern Hills Mall which is in the vincity has a Dave & Busters which I am sure your son would like. There is also an IMAX theater close by.

If you are into ice skating Amherst has the Pepsi Center for ice skating - google Amherst pepsi center for a schedule of events etc. They also have other hockey games - mostly high school etc there.

Not sure what dates you are coming into town but there is usually something going on somewhere.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
413 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: still dont know if we should stay in buffalo or in niagara

coming up very very end of march for the wknd, so city hall will be out. going to see a NHL game at HSBC, and falls again, only on NY side jmhallmark. no not into churches. dave and busters, maybe, we have one around here but never been to it, we like ESPN zone....that area sounds nice though. we would have saturday DAY before the game then sunDAY all day, then go home monday.... it wont take all day to see NY side of falls will it? what all is right there at the falls? a park or anything to see and do ?