We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Niagra falls

uk
Level Contributor
279 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
New York to Niagra falls

HI all,Im at the early stages of planning a family holiday to New York and Vancouver..so excited!We would like to spend maybe 5 days in New york and then travel to Buffalo to see Niagra falls and then catch a flight from there to Vancouver.

Just have a few questions:

How far is the trip from New York to Buffalo,we would consider renting a car if it was a nice drive.

Could anyone suggest accomadation in Buffalo..ideally we would spend two days there..or is less time nessasary to see Niagra falls?Would one night there be sufficient and so leaving us more time to spend in Vancouver?

Are there any guided tours leaving New York to Niagra falls and back again..this would really help us out and save alot of hassle.

As this will be our first time in New York any advice or help would really be appreciated!!Info,tours,must-do's in New York and Niagra would really help.

Also we are interested in tracing our family history whilst in New York...is a trip to Elis island the best way to do this?

Thanks again!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Niagra falls

I'm about to leave for work, so I'll just jump in with a couple of quick answers, and I'm sure others will be along shortly with additional information.

The trip from New York to Buffalo is about eight hours. In what month will you be traveling? If you're coming during the winter months, I wouldn't recommend driving that route.

Regarding your ancestry search, a trip to Ellis Island would be interesting and fun, but most of the time, even preliminary genealogical research takes much more than a day. If I were you, I'd save that for after your vacation and take out a membership in ancestry.com. I've been using it for years, and it is an amazing tool. You can search censuses, ships' manifests, newspaper articles, and birth, death, and marriage records -- and you see the actual documents online. It is well worth the cost of membership.

Good luck, and have fun on your vacation! I have always wanted to go to Vancouver to visit the rainforest.

uk
Level Contributor
279 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Niagra falls

Thanks so much.We're planning to travel in September..Im so excited about the whole trip.I have a lot of research to do and really appreciate any advice you can give me.Thinking about it do you think it a better idea to fly to Buffalo,see Niagra etc and then fly from there directly to Vancouver??

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,020 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Niagra falls

Hi pixiebellUk;

New York City is approx. 420 miles / 670 km from Buffalo.

It would be a nice drive, but be prepared to spend a minimum of 8 hours driving.

Best Regards

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Niagra falls

Yes, I'd fly. The drive is not particularly interesting and can be tedious. There are many low-cost airfare options between New York City and Buffalo. In particular, check out JetBlue.com. (I'm not sure about airfares from Buffalo to Vancouver.)

New York State, USA
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to Niagra falls

I would consider flying from Toronto to Vancouver: it's a domestic flight and would involve less hassle (no Customs) and it might be cheaper than flying from the USA to Canada. I'd check fares from both airports.

Buffalo is about 25 miles from Niagara Falls. You might like to stay in Niagara Falls, NY or Niagara Falls, Ontario, especially if you are *not* renting a car as public transportation is not that easy between the two cities. Here is a link the the TA forum on Niagara Falls, NY. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g48261-i182-Niagar…

I know of no guided tours from NYC to Niagara Falls. Here is a link to the TA forum on NYC, it's a very active and very helpful place. There are also MANY questions answered in the margin on the right side of the page. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

-Dee

6. Re: New York to Niagra falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 15:17