We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving/departing by Amtrak...how to visit NF and Toronto?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
137 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
arriving/departing by Amtrak...how to visit NF and Toronto?

We are planning visiting Chicago (from UK) next summer and probably flying back from Boston, Thinking about breaking journey in Buffalo. What's the best way to visit the Falls AND Toronto since I believe car rental across the Ca border is a problem?

Could we do it all by public transport? Thinking about 4 days total from buffalo station and back again. Any advice welcome, even not returning to Boston by train.

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving/departing by Amtrak...how to visit NF and Toronto?

I should add that using Amtrak is an attempt to do something different, I like trains! However I'm aware of delays etc. Open to driving or flying on the return journey. Additionally we are 2 parents in 40s and one 15 year old boy, and have driven quite a bit in the US.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,936 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving/departing by Amtrak...how to visit NF and Toronto?

Hi macsurferuk;

There is no reason that you can't rent a car and drive in across the US / Canada border. It's done hundreds of times each day without any problems at all.

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the state or out of the country, or charge a premium if they do. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

You could travel by train to Toronto, but there is ONLY 1 train per day.

Niagara Falls is approx. 18 miles / 28 km from Buffalo, about a 30 minute drive.

Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto. The average drive is about 1½ hours, without any traffic delays.

For more information about Niagara Falls, you can post on the Niagara Falls, US forum;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g48261-i182-Niagara…

or the Niagara Falls, Canada forum;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara…

The two cities are divided by the Niagara River. To help you put things into perspective, here is an interactive map of Niagara Falls Canada.

niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Interacti…

The view is facing the US side, with the Fallsview area on the right side, and Clifton Hill on the upper left. Click on a building, and a new page will open with a description and details.

Best Regards

Edited: 07 December 2009, 01:53
Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving/departing by Amtrak...how to visit NF and Toronto?

Thanks RescueTeam. Looks like car is the best way for flexibility.

Sorry about posting from 2 seperate accounts (must get them combined!)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,936 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving/departing by Amtrak...how to visit NF and Toronto?

You're Welcome !

Yes, do get the 2 accounts combined. Having 2 user accounts is a violation of TA's policies. I would suggest visiting the Help Centre page "I have two TripAdvisor accounts. Can I combine them?" here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/help/i_have_two_tripadvisor_a…

Best Regards

5. Re: arriving/departing by Amtrak...how to visit NF and Toronto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2010, 14:23