We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

Hello

We are wanting to take the Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham. Just not sure where to get on to make the best use of our time and the scenery. We fly into Juneau from Anchorage on August 19th and want to catch the ferry on August 23rd. We don't know where we should join the Ferry - Juneau, Sitka or another spot. We have heard Sitka is not to be missed but do we spend a day there before getting the ferry or just get the ferry from Juneau and enjoy the sights as we pass by?

Any pointers on the best use of our time 19 to 22 August in the Juneau area. We are in our late 60's reasonably fit but don't hike. We will have been in Alaska for two weeks touring RV style we hope out of Anchorage. Thinking of doing a train tour to Skagway / Haines - is that a good idea. Many thanks for any hints, suggestions etc.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

G'day Dona,

I see the message above was deleted by the poster, who was TA_JoaneS. That is highly unusual. Did you originally post on the Alaska/Sitka forum, or somewhere else and it might have been moved? The reason I ask is that there seem to be a new bunch of TA staff that do not appear to know much of what they are doing, and I have never seen one delete their own posts before when they have the power to just make posts disappear.

I can't help with the ferry question, but do wonder what you are thinking by flying into Juneau and then throwing Skagway and Haines into the mix if you are only looking at 3 days? Can you please clarify that as that for the benefit of others who may be able to provide advice?

Edited: 19 May 2016, 19:42
Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

I did not delete my own post, but had tried to post several times and it kept getting rejected??? Have reposted anyway.

We have a full two weeks in Alaska before going to Juneau. Really wanting to do the inside passage to Bellingham and thought while we were in the area we could look around hence Skagway or Haines. The whole Alaska vacation is all about the unknown to us so very happy for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

No. I did not insinuate that you deleted your own post as reply #1 was from a TA staff member, so something was unusual about your post to have seen intervention "from above" at staff level which may have resolved the rejection problem.

I believe there is a fast ferry that runs Juneau/Haines/Skagway that you might be able to do as a one day trip, or stay overnight in one of those towns to do the other one the next day. Have a look at this link:

http://alaskafjordlines.com/

I know nothing about them though.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

I've never been to Skagway or Haines, but I have taken the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau, then another to Sitka, and yet another to Ketchikan, then flew out from there. I didn't rent a cabin on the M/V Columbia, but stayed up in the solarium with a sleeping bag. Best thing ever! Can you imagine sleeping under the stars and moon, but protected from rain under the glass awning? It was one of the best things I've ever done. I stayed at an airbnb in all 3 cities and loved all of them. Sitka is my favorite place in the world. I've been there twice, having spent a total of about a month of my life there. To me, one day is not enough. Did you know that James Michener did some of his research for his book "Alaska" at the Sheldon Jackson Museum in Sitka? Walking around the Tongass forest in the National Historic Totem Park is phenomenal. The beautiful views, sounds, smells, history, culture, flora, and fauna all make this a place I love. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

I tried editing my original post, but it timed out. Sorry to duplicate part of it, but I've added some more info. I've never been to Skagway or Haines, but I have taken the Alaska Marine Highway System ferry from Bellingham to Juneau, then another to Sitka (through Peril Strait - a beautiful trip), and yet another to Ketchikan (via a full-day stop in Kake for the Dog Salmon Festival), and then flew out from there. I didn't rent a cabin on the M/V Columbia, but stayed up in the solarium with a sleeping bag. Can you imagine sleeping under the stars and moon, but protected from rain under the glass awning? Best thing ever! The ship has both a cafeteria and restaurant on board. You can rent a pillow and towels, and there are free showers. There are lockers up in the solarium to store your gear (bring a roll of quarters). Watching the ship navigate through Wrangell Narrows was amazing. I stayed at an airbnb in all 3 cities and loved all of them. Sitka is my favorite place in the world. I've been there twice, having spent a total of about a month of my life there. To me, one day is not enough. Did you know that James Michener did some of his research for his book "Alaska" at the Sheldon Jackson Museum in Sitka? Walking around the Tongass forest in the Sitka National Historical Park is phenomenal. You'll love the Alaska Raptor Center, Fortress of the Bear, Castle Hill (where the transfer of ownership from Russia to the US happened), Shee'tka Kwaan Naa Kahidi Dancers, New Archangel Dancers, Sitka Sound Science Center, St. Michael's Cathedral, etc. There are many galleries and gift shops to check out, as well. I love walking around the docks and checking out the ships at Crescent Harbor and Eliason Harbor (great places to catch beautiful sunsets). You should check out the Sitka website for their calendar of events to see if there are any concerts or special events happening around the time of your trip. The beautiful views, sounds, smells, history, culture, flora, and fauna all make this a place I love. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Alaska Raptor Center
Alaska Raptor Center
858 Reviews
Sitka, AK
Fortress of the Bear
Fortress of the Bear
719 Reviews
Sitka, AK
St. Michael's Cathedral
St. Michael's Cathedral
301 Reviews
Sitka, AK
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

Thanks luminouslight. Lots of good information. We are perhaps not as adventurous as you and have booked a cabin. Will no doubt spend time admiring the stars despite having a cabin. Best wishes

7. Re: Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Bellingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2017, 14:16