We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locals? Question on Ferry days

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
205 posts
28 reviews
Locals? Question on Ferry days

I'm waiting to book a trip next year of august/September, no exact because ferry schedule is not out until late November.

Can anyone familiar with Sitka tell me if the days of the week the ferry comes northbound into Sitka stay the same??

Such as, oh it's always Fridays.

I would be coming from Ketchikan.

And then north to Juneau, such as, that happens always on Tuesdays.

I would love to get my dates a little more straight so I can start booking things.

Also for those who know, do the ferry terminals have baggage carts for use.

Calling the ferry is not overly helpful I've found.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Locals? Question on Ferry days

Baggage carts? That would be for walk on passengers. You load your luggage to a common cart and they pull it aboard at departure time. Last time (I think) was walk-on passenger was the run to Dutch Harbor. If you have a vehicle no need of baggage cart. Book a cruise a year i advance? Wait until November when the new sked comes out. They don't fill that fast

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Locals? Question on Ferry days

I will be in Sitka for 2 hours on Oct. 3, via the Car Ferry. I understand the ferry terminal is 6 miles from town. Does anyone know of someone who would do a one hour tour of Sitka? I want to see the town but am limited in time.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,941 posts
3. Re: Locals? Question on Ferry days

Karen, I suggest you just hire a taxi: http://www.sitka.org/plan/transportation/ . Do a bit of research to figure out which things you'd like to see most, then a couple of other things you'd like to see if there's still time.

Suffolk County, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Locals? Question on Ferry days

I am wondering how you managed? We are going to Sitka in June and will be looking for the same thing. Did you just hire a taxi? How long and how much did you pay? We are thinking about a half day tour of the area.

Reply to: Locals? Question on Ferry days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted