We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
468 reviews
Save Topic
Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns

We'll be in the Shenandoah NP area at the end of May. We're considering stopping at Luray Caverns, but since we're a family of five it sure isn't cheap! We went to Carlsbad Caverns National Park this past May, so if Luray is similiar/not as impressive as Carlsbad we may give Luray Caverns a pass to save some $$.

If anyone has been to both, how do they compare?

Mentioned in this post
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,823 Reviews
Luray, VA
Luray
Luray
Virginia
5 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns

I've been to both--there's no need to go to Luray Caverns if you were at Carlsbad Caverns in May.

Mentioned in this post
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,823 Reviews
Luray, VA
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns

Thanks! I'm glad you said that, because my kids really want to go to the frontier village thing in Staunton instead...which fortunately will cost us signifigantly less than Luray Caverns.

Mentioned in this post
Staunton
Staunton
Virginia
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,823 Reviews
Luray, VA
conn
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns

Luray as an attraction is much better over all than Carlsbad , but the cave tour it self is better at Carlsbad Caverns Luray includes a very good car museum and a fair history museum in the steep $25 price so you can easy make it a whole day trip. If you don't have any real intrest in the museums you might well want to give it a pass.

Mentioned in this post
Luray
Luray
Virginia
Punta Gorda, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns

My dad once said, "If you've seen Carlsbad Caverns there is no need to see any other." He had pretty much seen them all by 98 when he died in 2005. My parents had us on vacations during my first 17 years (which concluded in '63), through all the 48 contiguous states. They were wild about traveling, and we saw it all wherever they took us. Mom, a school teacher, even insisted we drive around the state capitol building of every state. We toured things like Post and Kelloggs, open pit copper mine, swam in the great salt lake, saw pretty much everything one could see in the 1940's and 1950's. We even had capped test tube bottles one trip to gather specimens of the salt desert, mohave desert, the badlands, sage, Pacific water, etc. Do this for your kids!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns

We have brought many a guest to the Frontier Museum..Enjoyed by children & the adults.

http://www.frontiermuseum.org/

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 06 June 2017, 02:38
Reply to: Luray Caverns vs. Carlsbad Caverns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted