We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

MD
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

I'm looking at the Luray Caverns web site, and it seems to say that you will go on a guided tour that takes a little over one hour.

So does that mean you can't look around at your own pace? What if I want to take my time in there, and spend 2 or 3 hours while taking a lot of photos? For $27, I'd like to feel like I wasn't rushed through it.

Mentioned in this post
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,966 Reviews
Luray, VA
7 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

Guided tour..

https://luraycaverns.com/FAQ

Kesh_grammy

MD
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

It's confusing. I've been reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, and some people said they were on a guided tour and felt rushed. Other people said there was no guided tour, only employees stationed at various points along the path to answer questions as you went along at your own pace.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

"Tours" depart every 20 minutes. Basically, what that means is that you descend from the aboveground entrance to the cavern entrance where you wait until it's time for your tour to start based on the 20-minute schedule. A guide gives an introduction, then your tour enters the caverns. When you reach a guide, the guide will gather your tour together, give a speech about what you are seeing at that location, and then move you along. Given that the guides know that another group is 20 minutes behind yours, they may need to encourage people to move along. Some places where the guides stand are relatively small, so they have to clear the area before the next group arrives. The result, I'm sure, is that some people may feel rushed. The last time I was there, I did not feel rushed, but everyone's experience is going to be different.

Edited: 13 September 2017, 06:28
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

@Carol757..First visit in the 1960's easy going..tidbits of local info..

Mid 1970's the NPS took over, more organized..

My children loved it in the 1980's..

Last visit..Not too long ago.. We felt rushed & decided then might not return..

Kesh_grammy

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

I think Luray Caverns is still privately owned. Periodically, there's talk about having the state take it over. As long as there's one family whose livelihood is depending on the caverns, the goal will continue to be to extract the maximum possible profit.

The last time I went was about 10 years ago, with my husband who'd never been, and we didn't feel particularly rushed, but then we went on a day that wasn't particularly busy either. I went as a child with every seventh grader in my county on a field trip way back when, and I would imagine that if you arrive on a day with a lot of school groups it could a lot more hectic. The one downside I saw 10 years ago is that the guides are all local high school/college students, and some of them were much better than others. The beauty of the caverns makes up for it.

Unfortunately, for the OP, it's just not set up for serious photographers who want to take their time and frame the perfect shot.

Mentioned in this post
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,966 Reviews
Luray, VA
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

@Carol757...>>>>I think Luray Caverns is still privately owned. <<<< Yes, you are correct..

Citing Wiki below...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luray_Caverns

""In 1974, the National Park Service and the Department of the Interior designated Luray Caverns as a National Natural Landmark.[3]"""

Kesh_grammy

Mentioned in this post
Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns
3,966 Reviews
Luray, VA
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?

Yes, it was designated National Landmark in 1974, but it is still privately owned. It states that in the wiki article and here is the National Park site that states it is privately owned.

https:/…

It is a bit confusing in that it is a National Landmark under the National Park Service.

See the comment toward the bottom of the page.

Reply to: Luray Caverns - can you walk through at your own pace?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted