We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

I would like to create an outing where we take our teenage daughter to see Liberty University, but since we will be driving from NJ to VA's western region.....it sure would be great to see Luray Caverns and then maybe Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.

Geographically speaking.....if you were me.....coming into VA from DC's outer loop / beltway/ 495...over three days, what should be first, second , and last?

Luray...then Liberty U...then Monticello....then head north back to NJ???????

By the way....We'll do a Thurs., Fri. and Sat. trip.

Thanks!

Steve

15 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

Steve..

Time of year? Which date do you plan to see Luray?

Suggestions..

Head to Luray on 211 ( about 1 . 5 hr. at most visit)..

Head to Thornton Gap entrance Shenandoah National Park / Skyline Drive, about 4 hours, depending on the time of year, stop at Big Meadows Lodge for a meal / dessert, sit in a rocking chair & view the surrounding mountains.. ( IMHO, staying over at at Big Meadow Lodge is a treat in itself).

Depending on the time of year exit at Rockfish Gap / take 64 East to Charlottesville..

For Monticello, order tickets on-line for 1st tour of Monticello....

Now, once again, depending on the time of year & what events are taking place in Charlottesville / Albemarle & the surrounding area, if you didn't stay in SNP & drove to C-Ville, spend the night in C-Ville area, ...

Please ask here on the forum for suggestions of accommodations & eateries in different locations..

Bite to eat.. Plenty of good food in the area..IMHO, avoid the Cafe at Monticello.. $$ & Michie Tavern..

Take 29 South to Lynchburg / Liberty well marked signage.. Stay over.. Saturday or Sunday morning? Head back 29 > 64 > 81.. or head across toward Bedford & drive a bit on the Blue Ridge Parkway, cut over to 81 North.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 16 July 2017, 19:18
BrickUSA
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

Kesh_grammy,

We meet again :)

All public school in NJ are closed on Thursday Nov. 9th and Friday Nov. 10th (NJEA Teacher's Convention)

Walt Disney World employees see so many guests from Jersey those days...they call that week "Jersey Week".

Yet, we might use the days to do what you and I have discussed.

I looked at google maps and I notice that Liberty U. is the most southern of the 3 places I mentioned in the OP. I like the plan Luray Day One....Liberty U Day Two....then stop at Monticello on the way back to NJ on Day Three.

From my driveway to Luray Caverns is 306 miles....approx. 5 hours.

We could leave home at 8:30AM....stop only once(45 minutes) for lunch and gas (Panera Bread)....that would put us at Luray Caverns at 2:15PM....Thurs. Nov. 9th. We could then make a mid-afternoon Caverns tour our 1st priority. The Luray Caverns website says they close at 4PM on a weekday in November.....so we better pull out of NJ on time.

I want to show my daughter Liberty U. when classes are in session(Fri. Nov. 10th)....yet if there is a home football game, I'd consider putting that leg of the trip on Sat. Nov. 11th.

Thanks for your 1st answer. Now that I've provided many details, possibly you have a follow up?

Thanks!

Steve

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

Luray Rt. 211 West > Rt.81 South> Rt. 460 East / 221 East > Lynchburg > Rt. 29 North > Rt. 64 East to Rt.20 South > Rt. 53 at the traffic light > Monticello..

Options:

Rt. 64 West > Rt.81 North

Rt. 29 North > Rt.66

Google maps or MapQuest.

Edited: 16 July 2017, 23:16
BrickUSA
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

Thank you.

Re. Luray Caverns, If we walk up to the purchase tickets cashier at 2:55PM for example...we'll be ok?

Re. Monticello.....is advance purchase needed in Nov. or crowds are lighter....just show up?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,406 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

Luray Caverns website shows last tour at 4PM..I would recheck closer to your dates of travel.

Monticello in November, Nice weekend could be busy..

Edited: 16 July 2017, 23:49
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

Liberty U has an amazing campus that continues to grow. Yet the landscaping and winding roads and natural areas make it feel not all buildings. There are always a number of things going on there. We had a map at one point...I think we just google mapped it. We drove past ball fields, tennis, academic buildings, etc and still felt in the midst of some nature. They may still have their weekly farmer's market, not sure.

On the 10th there will be a lot of intramural games going too...Soccer, Softball, Flag Football, Kickball, Ultimate Frisbee. I think I heard ice hockey as well.

Their Snowflex is fun ...the slopes and a nice lodge. A few tubing runs, skiing, snowboarding on a not too bad synthetic material.

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

Thank you Kesh_grammy and explorer3

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

UVa football game is away Nov 11 - that's good. Wouldn't wait too long for hotel and Monticello reservations, it's possible that there will still be fall color, which brings out crowds.

Liberty is home the 11th. 3:30 game. Make Friday and/or Saturday hotel reservations ASAP.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

SteveS,

That weekend is also a CFAW weekend at LU so campus will be more congested than usual, and hotel rooms less available. http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=16415

Just know, what you will see will not be the normal traffic but much more than what is 'usual' to the area. :)

On the up side, lots of activities are planned, some already mentioned by previous posters, others include a concert Friday evening (small cost) at Vines and usually they have some play or musical going at the Tower Theater too.

Just remember, if your daughter decides to go to school here, you'll have ample opportunity to visit plenty of Virginia historical and tourist spots over the coming years. :)

Feel free to PM me if you have questions from a parent perspective, I'm a former and current LU parent (grad school, still counts!) and our son is a financial aid agent there.

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.

I was thinking of staying in Charlottesville.

We could see Luray Day 1....afterwards drive to Charlottesville and check in

Day 2 go south to Liberty U....afterwards drive back north to Charlottesville

Day 3 continue north to Monticello....see that....then continue north to NJ

How's that plan sound?

If it makes sense,

any Charlottesville hotel suggestions?

We like mid priced chain hotels....Hampton Inn, Country Inn and Suites, Best Western Plus, etc.

Reply to: Luray / Monticello / Liberty Univ.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted