We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few Questions about Luray & Surrounding Area

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
A Few Questions about Luray & Surrounding Area

I am not sure if this I the right forum to post in, but if it is not maybe, you could point me in the right direction. I am a “senior: and my daughter is in her early thirties and we are planning a mini-trip the week of April 17 to visit my sister who lives around Raleigh, NC. The trip will originate in NJ, where we live. We have never been to VA or NC except for passing through on I-95! I was looking for a place to stop over on our way to NC and happened upon Luray. My daughter majored in geology in college and would love to see the caverns and we both love nature. I am in good physical shape and I like to walk, but I have never hiked, nor do I want to do much more than “nature walking” at this time in my life.

My questions are:

Should I plan one or two nights in Luray.? We probably won’t arrive until 2pm on our first day. I am thinking that we may be tired and I am not sure what time the caverns close, so we may want to plan our visit to the caverns for the following day. What else can we see or do that day?

How long should we plan on spending at the caverns?

And at the risk of sounding geographically challenged (which I am), would Luray be a good base to see the Blue Ridge Mountains? Would that be the Skyline Drive, which appears to be about 40 minutes from Luray? Would we be better off spending only one night in Luray and one night somewhere else?

Thanks for your help!

12 replies to this topic
Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: A Few Questions about Luray & Surrounding Area

I booked it! The renovated rooms are "premium room" category. More expensive, but expense is relative! My last trip was to Disney World, where my nightly cost was way more than this! Thanks for you help kesh-grammy and beachlady! I will probably be posting more questions to the Shenandoah National Park forum as I get into planning for this trip.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,213 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A Few Questions about Luray & Surrounding Area

Marie,

Good for you. . ithought the views were absoluteky incredible..Keep us posted if you need more info..

Kesh_grammy

Reply to: A Few Questions about Luray & Surrounding Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted