We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

Brenham, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

We are planning to travel to Estes Park in the middle of June. We are going with another family. They, along with my husband, are requesting air conditioning. Every vacation rental, cabin, house, condo that I have contacted about does not have A/C. I know it really isn't needed up there because of the climate, but they are adamant about having it. I really don't want to stay in a hotel...want to experience the "Rocky Mountain Feel"....please help me not have to stay in a hotel the whole week!! There will be 4 adults, 3 kids, & would like to bring our small dog if possible.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

This subject was just covered ad nauseum in a post several days ago. There is a general disagreement about the need for A/C in CO but know that I'm not sure there is any place in Estes that has it. The alternative are ceiling fans. It does cool down at night but during the day the heat can get intense warming your lodging to oven temperature. Estes TA experts here will have more info for you.

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

Gotta tell ya, Tex, you REALLY don't need it. Coming from Texas, the mountain air is a sweet change from a Texas summer (I'm from Dallas). I would advise your husband and the other family that there's a reason that the selection of air conditioned properties is so limited...it's because no one uses it because no one NEEDS IT, especially in the middle of June. I can almost see wanting AC in mid-July because the days often get into the 80's, but it's sufficiently dry that unless you are in the sun, it's quite pleasant.

It's like trying to fund a property with a fireplace in the Carribean...seriously. The only reason I can see to have AC is due to allergies, and being that I don't have allergies, I can't say whether or not there's anything to worry about up there...anyone else?

-Crip

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

Maybe check on www.estesparkcvb.com for listings of lodging options. Mid June rarely gets above 80 degrees during the day and you hopefully will be out enjoying the scenery and not sitting in your room. Nights can be in the 30's-40's! All you need to do is open up the windows to let nature's airconditioning cool the place down if it is too warm inside. I think having a fireplace would be more important than AC

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

The fact that you haven't been able to find anything in Estes with A/C is probably a pretty good indication that you don't need A/C.

Assuming you're coming to the mountains of Colorado for the fresh air, your best bet would be to open a window and enjoy the cool clean breeze! In the mean time I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your next vacation isn't in Alaska. Then again, if A/C is required, you can cross that state off the list.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

Almost forgot:

"during the day the heat can get intense warming your lodging to oven temperature."

Hogwash! Even on the hottest August day, it will never be unbearable indoors.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

^^Your generalization about CO weather is not very helpful to the poster who is actually looking for A/C. Having lived and worked in Colorado for over 40 years I will continue to offer my opinion on this issue in a respectful manner.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,096 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

http://estes-park.com/lodging-guide-estes might be able to help

I am with smushie.

I too have lived in Colorado a long time and have never found the lodging in the mountains that

were "oven temperature" quite the contrary often temps are in the 40's / 50's at night. Shoot I have had it snow on me in July.

Edited: 04 May 2012, 07:18
Brenham, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

Thanks to all the replies. I agree that we probably really don't need it, but my husband & friends are insisting. So, when you are traveling with others, you have to make sure everyone agrees. I will just keep searching......

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

No problem TexasSunshine,

Just hope they don't start insisting on a fireplace in your condo if you decide on Jamaica next year. Though you're more likely have a need for a fireplace on a cool June evening than A/C on a hot June day. For what it's worth, last year it snowed in May, June, and July (2 inches on the 4th!). While you shouldn't expect snow on your visit, you certainly won't be seeing "oven temps" anywhere outside of an oven.

Oh, and my apologies Texranger. Telling people, "it gets hot and don't believe anyone who says it doesn't," hardly seems respectful of the OP or anyone else on TA for that matter.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any vacation properties with Air Conditioning?!?

I hope the friends/family you are traveling with change their minds before you book something. To not lay at night in a cabin at night and breathe in that fresh Colorado mountain air is doing the entire trip a serious discredit. It was one of the highlights of my trip there last year. And there would be no reason for you to be there during the day, were it ever to even be intolerable, which is doubtful. If I were you and could afford it, I'd be looking for my own place :)